Clear Footnote Formatting

I have a question. Perhaps someone has an answer. I have some footnotes that contain italicized text and would like to clear the formatting for them. I see that using the select all command (Control-A) disables the Clear Formatting button in the ribbon. Is there a way to clear footnote formatting without removing them or going through them individually (although if I have to do the latter, then it will simply take a matter of time)?
Answer
Answer

You could switch to Draft view, display the Footnote pane, select all the footnotes, and press Ctrl+Spacebar, but if you're using the default Superscript formatting for the footnote reference numbers, that would also be removed, which you don't want. Here's another way to do the same thing:

1. Press Ctrl+H to open the Replace dialog.
  2. Click More>> to expand the dialog.
  3. With the insertion point in the "Find what" box, click Format, then Style, and choose Footnote Text.
  4. With the insertion point in the "Replace with" box, click Format, then Style, and choose Default Paragraph Font.
  5. Click Replace All.

Unfortunately, that has the same unfortunate result of removing the Superscript formatting. Here's how to restore it:

1. In the Replace dialog, in the "Find what" box, type ^f (the code for a footnote reference mark).
  2. In the "Replace with dialog, click , then Style, and choose Footnote Reference.
  3. Click Replace All.

If italics are the only kind of formatting you need to remove from the footnotes, then the problem is considerably simpler. Follow the exact same instructions given in the first sequence above, with this addition: In the "Find what" box, press Ctrl+I. Below the box you'll see "Format: Style: Footnote Text, Font: Italic." This search will find only italicized text in footnotes and will restore the Default Paragraph Font.

Alternatively, if you just want to remove the italics and leave any other direct formatting, then, instead of selecting the Default Paragraph Font style for the "Replace with" box, just press Ctrl+I twice to give "Format: Font: Not Italic."

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,721 Applies to: