Bullet and Number List

In Word 2010 when I create a bulletted or numbered list, I get "extra" parameters (seem like defaults) in the style description that don't reflect the actual bulleted/numbered style that I want created - how do I modify or delete these?

The Before and After settings are defined in the Paragraph dialog. The Left and Hanging settings that you have defined in the Paragraph dialog are overridden by settings in the Define New Multilevel List dialog (there are no such settings in the Define New Number Format dialog, so you can't use that to create a numbered style). If you want the paragraph to have a 0.5" left indent and 0.25" hanging indent, then you need to set "Aligned at" to 0.5" and "Indent at" to 0.75".

The 99 Priority is the default for new styles; if you want the style to have a higher priority, you can use the Style Manager to change it.

FWIW, the built-in List Bullet 3 style will give you the indent and hanging indent that you are looking for.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Seems you can change the indention for numbered lists not bullet lists. . . So this information is not really helpful. I understand how to create bulleted and numbered lists - but do not know how to get rid of the bogus indent information which seems to be causing problems when I generate a Word document through the authoring tool Doc-To-Help. 

A worse example is the following:

I have no idea where the Aligned at: 2.9 or the Indent at: 3.15 comes from or how to get rid of it. . . 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As Suzanne wrote, you must use the multilevel list dialog box; it works for both numbers and bullets. Click in the first paragraph to which your bulleted style has been applied. On the Home tab, click Multilevel List, and finally click Define New Multilevel List. Click the More button to see all options for lists. You use the "Aligned at," "Text indent at" and "Add tab stop at" options to get full control over the indentation.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 125 Applies to: