A Major Problem with Indexing a Word 2010 document

14 November 2013

I am writing a thesis (800-plus pages) and created an index.  When it was positioned at the back of the document I found that the newly-'completed' index had a block of 30 entries which were incorrect.  I deleted the incorrect entries 'en masse', and saved the document, as this would 'lock-out' the deleted items and ensure they could not return. 

I then went to each incorrect entry, and deleted the incorrect 'index' entry there, 'locking' the deletion with the F9 key.  When this was done I used the 'Mark Entry' button to create a new, correct entry; doing this for each of the 30 entries. When this was completed I saved the document.  I then 'Inserted Index', replacing the previous index. I then returned to the Windows Home' page and deactivated the 'Paragraph' key. That done, back to the document.  I highlighted the 'new' in-place index (at the end of the document) and pressed the Update Index button.  My understanding was that by doing-so this would replace the old , incorrect entries with the new ones which I had 'loaded' and bring all the pages back into order.  

ALL THE ORIGINAL (INCORRECT) ENTRIES RETURNED!!!!! 

Nothing had changed, and NONE of the new entries appeared. The whole exercise had been a total waste of time. 

Although doing the above took 45 minutes, but thinking that it may have been me who caused the problem, I repeated the exercise. The same result occurred!

What puzzled me was how a 'deleted' entry could be 'reinstated' without my help (completely over-riding my actions while doing-so) 

I contacted the Microsoft Word Help-desk (on-line 'Chat' page) and found they couldn't help. They in turn referred-me to the Microsoft Technical Help Phone Call-centre , who also couldn't help, referring me to this site.

Understandably, I am a little bit peeved.

My questions are these:

1. Why, despite following the instruction to the letter, can I not do a simple alteration to an entry and be sure that it will work?

2. What do I have to do to remove the incorrect entries and replace them with the corrected ones?

3. Why do physically removed (deleted) index entries return when they have been verifiably deleted?

4. Is there a way to avoid this problem, and, if so, how?

Answers anyone, (preferably asap if possible)? 

Keith

Answer
Answer
XE fields are formatted as Hidden text. You must hide Hidden text before generating the index for it to be accurate.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,259 Applies to: