2010 Word Document text and footer corruption

My 2010 Word document, 250 pages with page numbers indexing and tracking turned on, as begun to corrupt the document. When I make new edits the document automatically inserts strange characters in the footer area (even though footers are not turned on) and the page number is corrupted with the same strange characters. In addition it corrupts some of the text. Please help me......how can I resolve this? I have backed up data so non is lost but I can't move forward with out this corruption showing up.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Can you share the document? Delete any sensitive information and upload it to (say) SkyDrive; then post a link in this thread.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

What happens if you press Alt+F9?
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The document is a book I am writing so I hope you can understand why I am hesitant to upload the entire document. I've copied out a portion showing the badly corrupted text. I hope it's enough to demonstrate the issue.

Here is the Skydrive link: https://skydrive.live.com/?lc=1033&mkt=en-US#cid=B1409D82ABA6B571&id=B1409D82ABA6B571%21105

Also, I've asked a lot of questions to many people. My computer shop suggested I may have some bad RAM that is corrupting the document. I moved a copy of the document back to my laptop that predated the corruption issues. I have not had any problems with the document on the laptop to this point. I spent about 10 hours yesterday writing and editing. My fingers are crossed but it appears like the issue could be hardware.

Thanks for your response.

Lee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I pressed Alt+F9 as you suggested. It removed all the characters that were in the footer area and the page numbers too. It did not affect the text corruption.

Also, I've asked a lot of questions to many people. My computer shop suggested I may have some bad RAM that is corrupting the document. I moved a copy of the document back to my laptop that predated the corruption issues. I have not had any problems with the document on the laptop to this point. I spent about 10 hours yesterday writing and editing. My fingers are crossed but it appears like the issue could be hardware.

Per another MSS suggestion, I posted a portion of the document to Skydrive. It is a book I am writing so I'd rather not publicly display the contents. Here is the link: https://skydrive.live.com/?lc=1033&mkt=en-US#!/view.aspx?cid=B1409D82ABA6B571&resid=B1409D82ABA6B571%21108&app=Word

Thanks for your response.

Lee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is certainly a lot of unreadable characters in the text. I suspect a corrupt font or, more likely, a corrupt document. See if there is a difference with a different font. If not, take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918429/en-us/ (How to troubleshoot damaged documents in Word 2007 and in Word 2010).
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem with almost any word document I work on. It seems that adding page numbers is what causes the corruption, but sometimes the document will corrupt simply by keeping it open for a while. I back it up regularly, so to me it's not a matter of how to fix the document, but understand why this happens and how to prevent it. I work with documents with several editors and it's difficult to keep up version control. Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem with almost any word document I work on. It seems that adding page numbers is what causes the corruption, but sometimes the document will corrupt simply by keeping it open for a while. I back it up regularly, so to me it's not a matter of how to fix the document, but understand why this happens and how to prevent it. I work with documents with several editors and it's difficult to keep up version control. Thanks

It is a matter of how to fix the document(s). If you don't you will eventually lose it all. Corruption compounds. You need to stop it at the cause as soon as possible.

You say that this is "almost any word document I work on" and also that "I back it up regularly." Is this happening on all documents? All shared documents? Long documents?

Are you by any chance using the Master Documents "Feature" on any of these?

Are you sharing via email or flash drive?
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is what I've learned. I was using both my laptop and my desktop, interchangeably, to write a manuscript. The manuscript is 290 pages. The desktop is loaded with Office 2010. The Laptop has Office 2007. Both are running Windows 7.

The corruption problem started on my desktop after moving a working copy from the laptop to the desktop. I thought the movement and different forms of Office might have been the problem. Gratefully I was able to rescue a copy that was on my laptop. Since then, I've been using the laptop exclusively. I recently loaded a copy of the document to my desktop. The Header/Footer/Page Number became almost immediately corrupted.

I talked with my computer vendor. They believe some of my memory hardware has gone bad. They told me bad memory can corrupt complex documents or applications. There are a few other issues that also suggest an issue with my memory. I haven't taken my desktop in for repair but will do soon. In the meantime, I am editing this document on my laptop only. I am anxious to see if this resolves the problem on my desktop.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Lee.r.50. There's also a few of us accessing the documents so it could be that one of us has is causing the corruption. For now what we're doing is we're not adding headers/footers until the very last minute, which is far from ideal.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Again, how are you moving/transferring files? Flash drives? email?

This, too, can be a cause of document corruption.

Headers and footers aren't a problem but section breaks can be. They certainly can make troubleshooting harder.

Sections / Headers and Footers in Microsoft Word 2007-2013
Document Corruption
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 2, 2022 Views 3,327 Applies to: