Word 2007 - Paragraph Marks Will Not Stay Turned Off

In Word 2007 (using Windows 7), turning the paragraph marks on of off is easy. On the Home Ribbon, in the Paragraph section, you simply click the "paragraph" symbol. I have turned it on and off many times, but I prefer to leave it off unless I am proof-reading a document.

My problem is, I turned the marks on to check a document ,and now every time I start Word, the paragraph marks are displayed by default. Word will not save the template with the marks turned off by default.

I have tried

1) Turning off the paragraph marks.

2) Changing the font to something different.

3) Saving the changes as "Default..." in the Font window.

And

1) Turning off the paragraph marks

2) Opening the Paragraph window

3) Changing sometime (like Alignment)

4) Saving the changes as "Default..." in the Paragraph window.

However, while the changes to the font or paragraph style save, when I next start Word, I have the new font and new style, but once again the paragraph marks are visible and need to be clicked off.

With all of my attempts, I do not get the warning to save changes to normal.dotm. I have seen the message in the past but have not seen it since the marks got stuck in the "Display by Default" position.

If only takes a moment to turn the paragraph marks display off, but I would like to restore to the default of NOT displaying the paragraph marks every time Word starts.

I was always under the impression that Word 'remembers' what the display formatting symbols setting was the last time it was used and continues with that setting. Unless you have a Document_New or Document_Open macro, Word will behave according to the way it was last set regardless of whether a new or any existing document is opened.

BTW, if you prefer to keep your hands on the keyboard while toggling the formatting characters on and off, the keystroke shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+8 (aka Ctrl+*).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I was also under the same impression; however, that is not happening. No matter if I leave the symbol display on or off when I exit, the next time I start the program, they are back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2023 Views 910 Applies to: