Unable to insert page numbers in Word 2007 documents

I have Office 2007 installed with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I have been unable to insert page numbers in Word documents, and the help document only gives instructions for Vista and XP. Also, although can find the U.S. locale folder 1033, I cannot find the Building Blocks.dotx template (with or without the space).
Answer
Answer
... and the help document only gives instructions for Vista and XP.

I really don't understand the above statement. The method of inserting a page number into a Word 2007 document does not depend on the operating system.

Double-click into either the header or footer area to initiate a header/footer editing session. The quick way to insert a page number is to position the insertion point where you want the page number and tap Alt+Shift+P. When you are in a header/footer editing session, the Header & Footer Tools, Design menu provides additional options in the right-most Header & Footer group.

Add and format page numbers

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I know of no standardized shortcut for { NUMPAGES } or the entire Page X of Y text field string but you can use Ctrl+F9 to insert a new set of Field Braces and specify the NUMPAGES field. Try typing this,

P·a·g·e·<space>·Alt+Shift+P·<space>·o·f·<space>·Ctrl+F9·N·U·M·P·A·G·E·S

Tap F9 to Update Fields while the insertion point is still in the NUMPAGES field to update the field code to a numerical field value..

After you create the Page X of Y header, you can select it, click the Header button (on either the Insert tab or the Header & Footer Tools tab of the ribbon), and choose Save Selection to Header Gallery. That makes it a "building block" (roughly equivalent to the old AutoText).

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 27, 2023 Views 6,186 Applies to: