troubleshooting "text wrapping" an image

HI

HI

I am working in Word 2007.

I have a document that includes images, captions and callouts, each of which are 'grouped' together with text written above and below the image.  I've read that in order to make this document WCAG2.0 compliant/accessible, I must format the image either as 'inline with text' or 'top and bottom'. When I use 'inline with text', it positions the image at the left margin - I want the image centred between the margins. Also, 'inline wth text' seems to disable the 'group' option and I can't group it with the caption or callout.

When I use 'top and bottom', and group the caption to it, it move the text which had been below the image to behind it, forcing me to hit Enter several times in order to move the text down the page to below the image.

So, the question is, how can I add a caption (and callouts) to an image, group them together and at the same time keep the text that's positioned above and below the image without having to hit Enter several times to move the text down the page and below the image?

Help!, Marion

You won't be able to group an inline image with anything. You can (and should) define a Figure style that is centered and formatted as "Keep with next." When you insert a caption, it will be inline. You can modify the Caption style to be also centered and/or to have left and right indents. If you're allowed to use frames, you can put both the image and the caption in a frame (which can have None wrapping so that it is effectively inline), which will keep the two together.

You can put the image and caption in a text box and format the text box with Top and Bottom wrapping. Set the position centered relative to margins and a specific distance relative to the text paragraph that precedes the image. Text will wrap above and below the image, and you should not have to create extra empty paragraphs (this would be the case only for Behind Text or In Front of Text wrapping).

In neither case will you be able to add callouts that are grouped with the image. Instead, use image editing software to add the callouts before inserting the image in Word. Word's callouts are pretty difficult to work with, anyway, in my opinion. The SnagIt editor does a much better job, and if, as it appears, you're using screen shots, SnagIt would be a worthwhile investment anyway.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

HI Suzanne

Thank you for your quick reply!

I can't seem to figure out how to create the Figure style you suggest. I'm not sure what you mean by 'frames'.

I tried using the textbox method but it still causes me issues and I need to be able to add callouts within Word (as opposed to Snagit which I use for my screen captures) because I always re-size the image in Word afterwards. Creating the callout in Snagit would then be affected, which is a problem.

Any other suggestions?  I am at a loss at this point.

Thanks again, Marion

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To create the Figure style:

1. Display the Styles pane by clicking the dialog launcher in the bottom right corner of the Styles group on the Home tab or by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Shift+S.
  2. In the Styles pane, click New Style button in the bottom left corner.
  3. In the Create New Style from Formatting dialog, type a name for your style (Figure in this example) and select the style for following paragraph (in this case, Caption would be sensible).
  4. You can select some of the style properties horizontal alignment, line spacing, font, etc. from this dialog, but you'll need to click Format | Paragraph to get the rest.
  5. In the Paragraph dialog, select the Line and Page Breaks tab and check the box for "Keep with next."
  6. Make any other changes you want in the paragraph formatting and click OK.
  7. Back in the Create New Style from Formatting dialog, select whether you want to save this style in the document template or just this document and whether you want to add it to the Quick Styles gallery. Then click OK again.

To use the style, apply it to a new paragraph and insert/create your figure. Press enter to get the Caption style and insert a caption.

A frame is a container that can include both your figure and its caption and allow text to wrap around it. You need to have created the figure and caption before "inserting" the frame; although a frame can be part of a paragraph style, you've got two different styles here, so applying a framed style would just make a mess.

To insert a frame, you can use the button in the Legacy Forms tools palette on the Developer tab, but it's easier if you add it to the Quick Access Toolbar. The command you're looking for is called Insert Horizontal Frame, and you can find it in the All Commands category in the Customize the Quick Access Toolbar dialog.

When you've got your figure and caption created, select both together and click the Insert Frame button. By default, Word will add a paragraph border to the contents. To remove it, select the frame contents, click the Borders button in the Paragraph group on the Home tab and choose No Border. If the frame is formatted as Around, text will wrap around it. If it's formatted as None, then it serves no purpose except to allow you to move the figure and caption as a single object.

Fairhope, Alabama USA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Suzanne

Thank you for your quick replay and detailed instructions!  Very much appreciated!

I created a Figure style following your instructions. For steps 4 & 6 above, I'm not sure what setting I would need, so I left them at the default. 

I'm unclear about the step where you say "apply it to a new paragraph and insert your figure'.  I already created the document with the images, I un-grouped the image (which contains the caption and callout), selected the image and then clicked the Figure style, but the style was applied to the paragraph above it and not to the image.  Not sure why that's happening. I then hit Enter to create a new paragraph code (i.e. blank line between the text paragraph and image), inserted the cursor at that point and then selected the Figure style, it still applied it to the text paragraph above it.

After giving up on trying to get the Figure style to work, I attempted to use the frames. I inserted the frame according to your instructions but the frame grabbed the text paragraph above the image and placed it into the frame along with the image and caption. Again, not sure what's going on with my document and why none of the instructions are working. 

Someone else had suggested that I format the image with Top/Bottom setting and then in the Picture Tools/Format tab on the More Layout Options page, adjust the Distance from Text option to add space between the top and bottom.  I tried that as well and it's causing me issues with moving the image to another spot on the document (not sure if that's because of the callout I have).  Anyways, I'm at a loss as to how to fix this problem.  Thank you so much for you help Suzanne!   Marion

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In order to apply a style to a graphic, it must be formatted as In Line with Text and in its own paragraph. It helps to display nonprinting characters so you can see the paragraph marks. If you either select the entire paragraph (double-click in the left margin or triple-click in the paragraph) or click between the graphic and the paragraph mark, the style will be applied to the entire paragraph.
Fairhope, Alabama USA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,285 Applies to: