Skipped page number

All the discussions I read under the heading "page numbers" seem to be about how to include or not include) the page number on the page as it appears in a Word document.  I am concerned about the actual page number - the one that appears in the bottom left hand corner of the Word screen "Page x of y".

In my document, page 8 is skipped - the numbering goes straight from page 7 to page 9.  This puts all the Left/Right page layout off kilter.  I want to track down the reason why a page number is missed, and then cure it.  Can anyone give me ideas to try?

In this docment, all the pages have headers and footers (simple title and display of page number).

• page 4 is blank with a Page Break Section Break Next page
  • page 5 is full of text, right up to the end of the page
  • page 6 is blank with a Page Break Section Break Next page
  • page 7 has just a picture on it with a Section Break Next page
  • page 8 doesn't exist
  • page 9 (which should be page 8) has a table that flls the whole page
Answer
Answer

Perhaps the first row of the table is formatted as Page Break Before? Or have you restarted numbering at 1 on the page containing the table? If so, Word will treat the Next Page section break as Odd Page.

Note that in your description, unless you want to have numbering/header/footer on those "blank" pages, it would make more sense to use Odd Page section breaks at the end of pages 3 and 5. Then Word will automatically insert blank pages 4 and 6. As is the case with the current page 8, however, you won't actually see those pages, but they will be inserted when you print. You can actually see them if you (a) have enabled either "Mirror margins" or "Different Odd and Even" and (b) display two faces in Print Preview Edit Mode, which will then display true facing pages.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 3,814 Applies to: