Office Standard 2007

Suddenly, when using Word of Office Standard 2007, the cursor (an arrow) only intermittently appears.  Most of the time it's a  blue circle, which should indicate that some sort of process is on-going.  That circle will work as a cursor, but I can't use it to change margins.  I uninstalled with the original CD and reinstalled OS '07, but that did not solve the problem.    In addition, my listing of programs contains Office Home and Student 2007 [12.0.6612.1000].  Thinking that might be causing a problem, I tried to uninstall it, but when I click uninstall, I get a notice that it's corrupted and to reset it with CD.  I have no such CD to reset it.  In fact, I don't know how I got that program in the first place.  Any suggestions???

Uninstalling and re-installing hardly ever fixes anything.

Instead, try repairing the Office installation as detailed in the Knowledge Base article at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx

See the KnowledgeBase article "How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word" at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/921541?p=1

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the article applies to Office 2010 & 2013, neither of which I have, so unless reference to Office 2010 is the same as 2007, I still find myself in the same position.  Moreover, I still need an answer to the situation where I cannot delete MS Office Student & Home.   I would add that I have reinstalled my Office twice.  I know you commented that uninstalling and reinstalling rarely helps, but I did it anyway.    If I'm right, the fact that I get a blue turning "doughnut" indicates the computer is working - on something.  However, when I move the cursor outside the Word document in question, I get an arrow and not a circle.  Any other ideas?  Max
Sharkbite

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For Word 2007, it is even simpler to repair Word: go to Office Button | Word Options | Resources and clidk Diagnose. This will repair Office.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Suzanne - Thank you for your reply.  Tried your suggestion and while there were some repairs made, the problem I'm having still exists.  I would start thinking about my wireless mouse, but I get the arrow pointer in all circumstances EXCEPT when I run Word.    I will add that when the diagnostic program was running I got a notice that I needed to run the Compatibility Package for 2007 Office system.  I was 'taken' to file 012Conv.msi, but clicking on that led to a message, "012Conv.msi - File not found".  While I was futsing around with that, the diagnostic program continued to run, ending with a notice that 5 repairs had been made, but, as stated, the blue, turning circle subsists.   Any more ideas?   Regards, Max
Sharkbite

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 146 Applies to: