How do I fix a blanket change from .doc to .docx

I recently had a supposedly certified person come out to remove malware on my laptop (Sony Vaio running Windows 7). I have Office 2007 on here but I have many older documents that I have left as .doc and I always save everything as .doc. Same with Excel. I have older laptops I use as a writer that require older versions. When the technician left although the malware issue seemed to be resolved I started noticing all of my files had changed from .doc to .docx et al.  He claims that is impossible and that he didn't do anything. Can someone tell me what might have happened? What did he do and how can I fix it? Does this mean my old .doc files from the 80s were actually converted to .docx? We are talking hundreds of files so it is impossible to go and change each one individually, and obviously he didn't alter them one by one.

Just to qualify why I believe this tech did something,  while I was not watching him he had changed the position of my task bar, added tap capability to my mouse pad, and altered the aspect ratio of my screen as if I was some little kid who needed my defaults reinstated. These things he admitted to because I caught him. He clearly had no respect for my personal preferences. I have had other techies also mention to me that they can "fix" the .doc issue but this guy didn't give me the opportunity to decline.

Thanks for your help!

Answer
Answer

FWIW, if the file format (and not just the file extension) were actually changed from .doc to .docx, this would make it less vulnerable to malware, since .doc files can contain macros, and .docx files can't.

If only the file extension is changed, Windows will handle the document according to the file extension, but Word itself is smarter and recognizes its own files (and the correct version) regardless of the file extension, so you can open files from within Word that you might not be able to open by double-clicking in Windows Explorer.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 267 Applies to: