Adding a new figure to a large doc

HI,

Can someone help please?

I am using word 2007. Have a large document with TOC. I am trying to add a new figure say, figure 7.7 to an existing table of figures - the last entry to this figure table is obviously 7.6. After I cut n paste the pix onto the word doc (at a place where i want it ) - on the pix, I right click to add caption. In the dialogue box that pops up, I add a new label eg:-  Figure 7.7  Test box . Click ok and Figure 7.7 1 came out . How can I get rid of the numbering.

Even if I accept the annoying 1, I then went to the Fig 7.6 in TOC , put cursor under Figure 7.6 and go Reference -> Update table -> and click update entire table. Nothing happens.. fail!!!

Can you tell me where I went wrong.. bottomline.. I am trying to add a new Figure 7.7 to my doc and want to ensure Figure 7.7 appears in the table of figure and  that they are linked.

Please help...

Thanks so much
Lydia
Answer
Answer

You're just viewing field codes instead of field results. Press Alt+F9 to toggle back.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
You do not need to define a new label.  Just insert a Figure Caption where you need it (which should automatically be numbered Figure 7.7 and then go to the Table of Figures and select it and then press F9 and select the option to update the whole table.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2023 Views 384 Applies to: