Windows XP, Windows 7, and Word 2003 dysfunctionality

I'll be moving from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows 7 Professional in a matter of days. As a consequence I will have to switch to new Microsoft Word programs because my two current Word programs, 97 and 2000, are incompatible with Windows 7, even (I hear) in XP Mode. My current plan is to install Word 2003 and one of the newer Word "ribbon" programs and seeing which of these work best relative to my various word processing habits and needs.

In anticipation of the switch, and having a copy of Word 2003, I installed the program on my XP system to familiarize myself with it. All that did was remind me of why I had refused, years ago, to move beyond Word 2000. Already I've found two glitches, which I'll mention momentarily, after explaining the nature of my concern.

What I hope is that these and perhaps other glitches are XP-related and that they will disappear once I migrate to Windows 7. But that's just a theory since the glitches are not reported as best I can tell, let alone traced to XP.  The reason for my hope is that a friend who uses Word 2003 on Vista does not experience them. I would like to bolster the hope and thus ease my migration concerns, and so I would appreciate any guidance the community can offer.

Here are the two glitches:

First
, when I left-click on an empty space within a document in an attempt to activate the blinking cursor, the program does not produce the cursor but instead selects the line of text nearest to the click point. If I use the up and down manual cursor keys, the selection function grabs a line above or below the initial line, as the case may be. In order to restore the blinking cursor I have to click within a line of text or click the right arrow on my keyboard. This problem has nothing to do with the EXT function indicated on the status bar, which is the diagnosis I've seen in forum discussions. That function can be turned on and off in my program, and the problem exists even when EXT is off. I have also conformed my selection options (under Tools > Options > Edit) to those of my friend and got no relief on that basis. In particular, this is not a "smart select" problem. 

Second, I am unable to remove hyperlinks globally using my longstanding method, namely, selecting all the text and then pressing Control-Shift + F9. When I do this, the hyperlinks remain in the document. The procedure is so straightforward, and so basic to any and all Word programs, that it needs no further explanation.

Of course there is a third possibility: that my installation introduced problems for some other reason, e.g. that I replaced Word 2000. This itself was odd since when I installed 2003 I asked that it NOT replace 2000, and yet it did so. (I recall this insistence on the program's part years ago, which is why I never kept it on my PC.)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Just an observation;

I cannot replicate your problems under Word 2007 or Word 2010 installed on both Win7 & Win8

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks. That's good to know. I'll be getting Word 2007 on my Win7 system.

I'm hoping someone can confirm the same as to Word 2003. I like having a lighter weight word processor alongside my heavy duty one for the same reason people like taking their second car to the 7-11.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like you do not have the abominable "Click and Type" facility enabled.

If you really must, selection Options from the Tools menu and go to the Edit tab and check the box for Enable click and type.

The function of Ctrl+Shift+F9 (Unlink Field) has not changed in any version of Word.  It does not "remove" whatever was displayed by a field; rather it converts it to ordinary text so that it will no long act as a field.

Also AFAIK, Office 97 or 2000 will run under Windows 7.  No doubt, given the age of the applications, it is not an installation for which Microsoft provide support.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate the suggestion, but click and type was enabled from the moment Word 2003 was installed yesterday, and pursuant to your advice I tried turning it off and on and off and on again, including an exit and re-entry into the program, without putting a dent in the overselection problem. Moreover that problem is peculiar to Word 2003, which likely opted into click and type because it picked up my preferences from Word 2000, which (I now see) included that facility. I don't remember ever using click and type (I share your assessment of it), but it was innocuous, certainly as to text selection, which worked flawlessly in Word 2000 even though click and type was enabled for years on end. Still, thanks for the idea. There's no telling what might work.

As for the hyperlink removal problem, thank you for confirming the constancy within Wordland of my method for hyperlink removal. That is why the glitch is so unsettling. I believe we are in agreement as to terminology, but I would gladly adopt the exact nomenclature of anyone who can tell me how to fix this problem, or at least convince me it has something to do with XP and will not crop up in Win7.

Regarding the compatibility vel non of 97 and 2000 with Win7, all I can say is I hope you're right and Microsoft is wrong. If that proves so, I will be happy to let you know. I may yet take to the Word ribbon, but the programs between Word 2000 and Word 2007 have never appealed to me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If my suggestions are not what you are talking about then I cannot replicate the issues here when using Word 2003 running under Windows 7

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for trying to recreate my problem with Word 2003 in Windows 7. Your "lack of success" (so to speak) is welcome news. It tells me my upcoming OS should present no problem for the earliest Word program Microsoft deems compatible with it.

I have decided to not install 97 at the outset and to never install 2000 on my new PC. I suspect the problems I'm experiencing with 2003 have to do with the coexistence of 2003 and 2000 on my current PC. This is partly because there is no helpful literature on the overselection problem and none at all on the hyperlink removal problem. That suggests a peculiarity, and I believe it is a 2000/2003 interactive problem because: (a) upon installation, 2003 did not create a new desktop icon but "took over" the 2000 icon on my taskbar and (b) it did so despite my having told it not to replace 2000 (which it didn't accomplish but certainly tried to do). It's just a theory, but as Sherlock Holmes put it, "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

My strategy for the new PC will be to make Word 2003 as friendly to this user as 2000 has been. I will be getting a copy of Office 2007 and hope to see the two Word programs as I now see 97 and 2000. If I still feel the need for a lighter program (beyond Wordpad), I may install 97, since it does not seem to be interacting with 2003. But with reluctance and in lieu of 2000.

Thanks for helping me reach this decision.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In order to use "click and type," you must double-click in a blank area of the document. Full rundown at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/about-click-and-type-HP005257639.aspx.

If Ctrl+Shift+F9 is not unlinking fields for you, then check the Customize Keyboard dialog to make sure that it is still assigned to that function.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not trying to use click and type. I'm trying to bring the blinking cursor up by (single-)clicking in a blank area, but what happens when I do this is that the nearest line of text is selected.

There is no customization of Ctrl+Shift+F9. Something else is wrong.

Here is what I just tried to do on my current PCin an effort to solve this mystery:
  1. I uninstalled all versions of Word (97, 2000 and 2003) and then reinstalled Word 2003 to test my theory that Word 2003 may be malfunctioning in the environment of its predecessors. No luck. Both problems persisted.
  2. I installed all of Microsoft Works 2003 against the possibility that Word 2003 does not work well on a standalone basis and requires some component elswhere in the suite. No dice.
  3. On my DVD I found Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) and upgraded the program in hopes that "stability and performance improvements" in SP2 would eliminate the problems. No luck with either problem.
  4. Against the possibility that there is something wrong with my DVD (though it has a product key and appears otherwise authentic), I went to Microsoft's website and found a full-dress version of SP2 and downloaded that, thinking that it might address such a problem. It did not.
At this point I am at my wits' end. Thank you all for trying to help, but it's just a stumper.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I installed all of Microsoft Works 2003 against the possibility that Word 2003 does not work well on a standalone basis and requires some component elswhere in the suite. No dice.

Did you mean Microsoft Office 2003?

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In anticipation of the switch, and having a copy of Word 2003, I installed the program on my XP system to familiarize myself with it.

Here are the two glitches:

First
, when I left-click on an empty space within a document in an attempt to activate the blinking cursor, the program does not produce the cursor but instead selects the line of text nearest to the click point. If I use the up and down manual cursor keys, the selection function grabs a line above or below the initial line, as the case may be. In order to restore the blinking cursor I have to click within a line of text or click the right arrow on my keyboard. This problem has nothing to do with the EXT function indicated on the status bar, which is the diagnosis I've seen in forum discussions. That function can be turned on and off in my program, and the problem exists even when EXT is off. I have also conformed my selection options (under Tools > Options > Edit) to those of my friend and got no relief on that basis. In particular, this is not a "smart select" problem. 

I just tried Word 2003 on my Win7 setup and cannot recreate your problems. 

When I open Word 2003 the cursor is there, when I click elsewhere the blinking insertion point shows up.

I suspect your issue has something to do with the way your system is setup.

Issue 2: I selected the document and was able to remove the hyperlink from the document without an issue.

If you did a default install of 2003, it would pick up settings from your older installation. Is there any chance that is the cause.

How about using a virtualization tool like VirtualBox to isolate the 2003 installation from your other copies of Office.  I tested Win 7 and 8 briefly in VirtualBox on Vista. I understand you can do it on XP too.

Create a Test Lab using VirtualBox So That You Can Test Without Breaking Your PC

http://www.howtogeek.com/148785/how-to-create-a-test-lab-so-that-you-can-follow-the-geek-school/

Our Geek School articles can get pretty complicated, and there’s no reason to do a ton of crazy stuff on your own desktop PC. Instead, you can just VirtualBox like we do to create virtual machines for all of your testing. Here’s how to do it.

You can even network multiple virtual machines together, so as long as you have a decent amount of RAM in your PC, you can fully test a scenario without messing with your PC’s settings at all.  It’s a much safer way to learn!

Before we get started there are a few things that we will  need:

• A copy of VirtualBox which can be obtained here.
  • A Windows 7 ISO which can be obtained here.
  • A Windows Server 2008 R2 ISO which can be obtained here.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 801 Applies to: