Overtype not working in one doc.

A colleague of mine has one Word 2003 document in which he was using overtype mode, but even while he was working in the document overtype became disabled, and now we can't enable it again! It's still working fine in other documents of the same nature, but even in Options under Tools the option to tick or untick overtype mode is completely greyed-out, when that document is open. Is there a way to see how this could have happened and how we could fix it? Thank you very much.
I don't have Word 2003 so I would offering a solution blindly.  (It sounds like an Option was saved with this document only instead of the normal.dot.)  But I can offer some advice to work around the problem -- select all of the text up to but not including the last paragraph mark (make sure your paragraph marks are showing). Copy it into a new document.  (By not selecting the last paragraph mark you should be able to maintain all of the formatting.)  I think the overtype mode may then be operable in the new version of the document.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, he managed to complete his work in the document without using the overtype mode, but that's probably what we'll do if it should come up again.

I've now opened it on my computer, on which I have Office 2010, but it's still the same; I can overtype in another document, but in that document ...

Sorry, while I was typing this response to you, I was also trying various stuff in the document and when I tried to switch on the option to overtype in Tools I got the message that it cannot be on if Track Changes is also on, so then we checked on my colleague's computer and voila!

Thanks, anyway, as it was your suggestion to turn on the hidden characters that got me into studying the document for something out of the ordinary, which in turn led me to try and select the option below, which brought up the message!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have that dialog, then you are using Word 2010, not 2003. Knowing that would have been helpful, as the option in question doesn't exist in Word 2003.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Errr... I did mention that the colleague was using 2003 and I 2010. I opened the document on my computer in 2010 and got the pop-up tip there that OVR won't work with TR switched on. We then went back to the colleague's computer and turned TR off, in the process making OVR available again.

So I guess we can say that pop-up tips in 2010 are more informative than in 2003! What the heck, maybe the tips aren't even turned on on his computer...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, that's an entirely different issue. Assuming by TR you mean TRK, that indicates that Track Changes was turned on. When you are tracking changes, any changes you make are marked but not implemented until you accept them.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Indeed...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 7, 2024 Views 1,142 Applies to: