Office can't find my MY DOCUMENTS files anymore?

Strange things have started to happen recently to an older PC using Win XP and we can't figure this out. 
Thought perhaps it might be due to a virus but have scanned the PC and it seems completely clean (also use MSE as AV)?

Here's the problem:
Office (Word & Excel) files are normally saved to MY DOCUMENTS. If we use EXPLORER to open MY DOCUMENTS there are a number of folders present which have all of the required files (both Excel and Word etc.). However, if we open WORD first and then try to open a file we know is inside a folder but try to access it via the OPEN FOLDER option on the ribbon through MY DOCUMENTS then the folders ALL appear empty regardless of which ones we select?? We can confirm that the files within the folders in MY DOCUMENTS are there and viable when accessed through WINDOWS EXPLORER but not through any OFFICE applications. This also happens with EXCEL. 

Should we uninstall Office and re-install or is there something else to try first?

Anyone have an idea as to what's going on or how to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

If you try to save a document, does it go to the correct "My Documents" folder, or did you perhaps change the location by saving to another folder by mistake?  Try saving a document and see.

Also, when you go to open a file, look at the bottom and you'll see an area where you can type in a filename (useful if you have a LONG list of files), and the area directly under has a listing of file extensions.  if you are looking for, let's say an Excel file that was saved as Example.xlsx and the drop down menu is looking for a file ending in .xls, the only files that you will see are the .xlsx files, not the other .xls, xlsb, xlsm (etc.) files.  You can switch to show all file types as well in the drop down menu.

I don't know if this was helpful at all, but it is a common mistake for people that do not use MS Office products frequently.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

What is the "Files of type" setting in the Open dialog?
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2023 Views 1,538 Applies to: