displaying a popup when battery is low

How do I enable a popup notification when my battery is low? Twice now, my surface shutdown on me.  It plays a sound, but that sometimes can get lost in the noise from other apps, environment, etc.  I want it to also display a popup notification just like the email and messaging apps do.
Answer
Answer
I can confirm that Jakes answer worked. In my quest to fix this issue I fiddled with the advanced power settings (you get to this when you tap on desktop mode and then the little battery in the task bar and then "more power options"). When you are there click "change plan settings" and finally "change advanced power settings".

Now when the window pops up expand the battery setting at the very bottom of the list.

I'm not sure but when I first checked I found that the low battery level was set to the same level as the critical battery level so as a result the critical battery action (which is set to shut down) is causing it to turn off before it can give a notification. 

To fix this I changed some of the settings and here is what they look like now:

Critical battery action:
         On battery: shut down
         Plugged in: do nothing
Low battery level:
         On battery: 10%
         Plugged in: 10%
Critical battery level: 
         On battery: 5%
         Plugged in: 5%
Low battery notification:
         On battery: on
         Plugged in: on
Low battery action: 
         On battery: do nothing
         Plugged in: do nothing
Reserve battery level:
         On battery: 4%
         Plugged in: 4%

Once you have changed these click apply then ok. The settings should now be saved.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Gurmit

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
A critical battery indicator does pop up in the classic desktop via the task bar, but one does not popup on the Start Page or in Windows Store apps. There currently isn't a way to change this behavior. 

The only way to see the battery indicator in the Modern UI is to bring up the charms bar or via the lock screen. Someone may make an app that can notify you when the battery is low, but for now you have to monitor via the classic desktop, lock screen or charms bar.
https://msft.engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2023 Views 7,935 Applies to: