Gaming services wont install on Windows 10 PC

Hi everyone :) i'm having a problem running game pass for PC!

When I try to install Gaming Services on the Xbox app it just gets stuck on the screen below forever and wont install.

Everything was working fine and then my games wouldnt launch, so I tried to re-install them but received the dreaded error code 0x800070057. I tried a full re-install of xbox apps and I am now stuck here.

Following the advice on this site and around the web and I have tried following powershell scripts to re-install everything with no luck, I have tried installing from the windows store with no luck, I have rebooted more times than I can count and I am out of ideas!

I am running windows 10 with a game pass ultimate subscription, only one storage drive. I have noticed that there are only 3 xbox proccesses running when I look on task manager if this is significant at all.

Really Appreciate any help!

Answer
Answer

Anyone having this issue, after hours of frustration with this, finally have it working.

Do not, as you may be advised reformat and clean install Windows as its not necessary, as are most of the possible solutions that I have seen in various posts.

The main issue with Gaming Services is keys in the registry including ghost service entries in the registry, there is a version mismatch, if you ever get this error no matter what you try as long as they are there it will never install, thereby rendering your Game Pass Ultimate experience virtually useless.

I first got this error "0x00000001", I then reset Gaming Services, that then caused another error "0x80073D26", that's when I found the services in task manager which were effectively ghost entries doing nothing.

Firstly I reset Gaming Services, then proceeded with the following:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps find 2 gaming services folders, take ownership and delete.

2. Open RegEdit as an administrator and delete the following:

Keys.

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Classes\Local Settings\MrtCache\C:%5CProgram Files%5CWindowsApps%5CMicrosoft.GamingServices_2.45.11001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe%5Cresources.pri]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Classes\Local Settings\MrtCache\C:%5CProgram Files%5CWindowsApps%5CMicrosoft.Gamingservices_2.45.11001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe%5Cresources.pri\1d6937194966bce]

Services.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServices]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesNet]

The version numbers may be different depending on what you have installed.

3. Restart your PC.

4. Once restarted open Microsoft Store find Gaming Services and install, it will now work.

Hope this helps.

Microsoft however your updating or installing gaming services, it has the potential to fail, if it fails the user is stuffed, took me hours to resolve this, the only advice I had was to reset various apps or to reformat and clean install, which for the majority of users is not an option, fix it.

354 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 117,964 Applies to: