Surface Earbuds not able to communicate with Cortana app on Windows 10 Insider Preview

I am currently an Insider in the Microsoft Slow Ring and I have the Cortana Beta app. I preordered the surface earbuds in an attempt to us the virtual assistant features on windows 10, however when I hold my finger to the surface earbud in order to call up the assistant, it does nothing. Voice activation is turned on and Cortana is set to voice commands. This is very upsetting and counter productive of what this device was designed to do, it seems like already from the get go they appear to have short comings and pitfalls to the earbuds and operating system.

Surface Pro 7, Build 19587.1000, Ver 2004, Windows Insider Slow Ring

Cortana (Beta), Current Latest Ver 2.2005.5739.0

Surface Audio App, Earbuds Ver 3.0.0.5

Update: I managed to get Cortana app to work with the earbuds touch and hold command, however, I cannot hear Cortana reply to my inputs, although it logs the commands and responses in the Cortana dialog interface. When I say "I cannot hear you" to the Cortana app, the response I receive states "I only speak when you speak out loud to me. If you did that, try saying "Adjust system volume" and see if everything looks right." For some reason I hear Cortana say the ending part through the earbuds about adjusting the system volume control through my earbuds, but not the first part. All other commands I cannot hear any responses. 

I found the most effective way to fix my prior issue was a factory reset and repairing the earbuds,

Hi MichaelDavisVQ,

Thanks for reaching out Microsoft Community and for posting your inquiry regarding the Surface Earbuds digital assistant. We're sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Since your Surface Earbuds is being paired to a device with Windows operating system, supposedly, Cortana app should work with the Earbuds considering that it's the default personal/digital assistant on Windows devices but since this doesn't do anything, let me escalate this one to our internal support for me to check if there's anything to be configured in Settings to get it to work or if this doesn't work with Cortana Beta App on Windows 10 Insider. I'll just get back on you in this thread once I get a response from our internal support.

Kind regards,

Crest_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No problem, if you need anymore detail from my end let me know

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft by my reading and comprehension....said the earbuds would work with all virtual assistants on your phone. I have the Galaxy S20 Ultra....and I have the Cortana app....and Cortana is my default virtual assistant....but when I try and long press for a virtual assistant.....I get Bixby. 

Look.....I would prefer the Cortana app launching......I would settle for Alexa.....but Bixby? Really? I've disabled Bixby as about as far as you can disable the VA......but how come in the Surface app it doesn't even give us a choice in setting up the VA. I have Bose 700 headphones.....which said it would work with any virtual assistant....a lie. But at least it allows you to choose between Alexa and Google Assistant. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I still can't pair cortana with my surface earbuds. 

I go to the cortana app and I don't see it as a option to pair it like I do for the head phones or the Invoke. 

Even when I say hay cortana nos response. 

My phone is a Motorola play Z 3. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2022 Views 150 Applies to: