Outlook for Mac started crashing immediately on startup

Yesterday, Outlook for Mac was working (except for the known issue on Monterey (macOS 12.1) with email Search). This morning, Outlook was crashed and continues to crash immediately when started.

From the problem report:

Process:               Microsoft Outlook [2530]
Path:                  /Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Outlook
Identifier:            com.microsoft.Outlook
Version:               16.56 (16.56.21121100)
Code Type:             ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               501
Date/Time:             2022-01-03 15:17:41.7477 -0500
OS Version:            macOS 12.1 (21C52)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        91686B15-79D9-676C-D457-61E2BBC8420A
Time Awake Since Boot: 22000 seconds
System Integrity Protection: enabled
Thread 0 Crashed::  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	       0x1c44659b8 __pthread_kill + 8
1   libsystem_pthread.dylib       	       0x1c4498eb0 pthread_kill + 288
2   libsystem_c.dylib             	       0x1c43d63a0 __abort + 128
3   libsystem_c.dylib             	       0x1c43c818c __stack_chk_fail + 96
4   OutlookCore                   	       0x1081176f8 CUUDeCodeStream::UUDecode(char const*, int) + 544
5   OutlookCore                   	       0x10811773c non-virtual thunk to CUUDeCodeStream::PutBytes(void const*, int&) + 28
6   OutlookCore                   	       0x1080c02f0 CStreamDecoder::ReadSome() + 160
7   OutlookCore                   	       0x107f9bc60 CDBMIMEPart::CopyContent(unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char) const + 644
8   OutlookCore                   	       0x107f7db74 UMailUtils::GetTextPartContent(CMessageRecord_Core const*, CDBMIMEPart*, unsigned int, unsigned char*, unsigned int*, unsigned char) + 88
9   OutlookCore                   	       0x107f7ce74 UMailUtils::ExtractContentFromMIMEPart(CMessageRecord_Core const*, CDBMIMEPart*, __CFArray*, bool, bool, bool) + 288
10  OutlookCore                   	       0x107f7cc8c UMailUtils::CopyMessageBodyContentAsCFString(CMessageRecord_Core const*, bool, bool, bool) + 180

I have not found a similarly documented issue.

Any ideas? Could it be that an email message arrived that triggered the problem? How can I get past this?

Answer
Answer

I was finally able to get my Outlook back up by identifying the problematic email on disk and deleting it.

=> There is still a nasty bug here that Microsoft should look into. Maybe the file on disk was corrupt - Outlook should be more robust. But the more sinister case would be if this email message was legitimate and could shutdown any outlook recipient that receives it. BTW, the email message was processed fine by Apple Mail and was junk email sent to a large distribution list.

This is what I did:

1. I looked for the latest mail message in ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile/Data/Messages

• The message was binary but I could make out some fields and compare it to the messages being reported by Apple Mail. It was not the latest email message, so it must be the message that Outlook was choking on.

2. I moved the file, 5291CC04-...D.olk15Message, to the Trash using Finder.

3. Outlook then came up when started (a big improvement) but the file was quickly recreated and Outlook crashed again.

4. I then deleted the mail message with Apple Mail (using the fields that I gleamed from the binary) and again moved the file that I found in Outlook to the Trash.

5. This time Outlook came up and stayed up and the file on disk was not recreated.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2024 Views 969 Applies to: