iCloud kills touch scrolling for Outlook messages

Two years ago there was a thread about touch scrolling for Outlook 2013 messages not working: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-outlook/touch-scrolling-in-outlook-2013-email-messages/e7f18ea6-9a46-4b2b-aeac-91bc98380942

By the 12th post in the thread it was clear that this was only broken for computers with iCloud installed.  This suggests that many people might be experiencing this problem and not know that it is because of iCloud.  Furthermore, it is not clear that Microsoft or Apple knows about this problem; indeed, the problem is still there after Microsoft released Outlook 2016 and Windows 10.  More glaringly, the problem is still there after the Apple released iCloud 5.1, a version that fixed a major iCloud / Outlook sync problem. 

Are there any workarounds to touch scrolling being broken in Outlook messages?

Is there any indication that Microsoft or Apple is even aware of the problem?

Hi Mickey,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

To investigate the issue, we need more information.

1. What is the language of the Operating System installed?

2. Which version of Windows is installed on your computer? Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

3. Which build of Windows 10 are you working on?

4. What is the edition and version of Office ?

5. What is the language of Office installed?

6. What is the build of Office? You may check this by going to FILE>Office Account> About Outlook.

7. How Office was installed?

8. Press Windows + R, type in appwiz.cpl and press Enter. Take screen shot the Windows to know the information of iCloud installed and its version.

Also, I kindly request you to capture the steps through Problem Steps Recorder (PSR) to provide a detailed screen-by-screen view showing that scroll function is not working and upload it on OneDrive to help you better.

Refer to the following link for information on how to use PSR:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/video/windows-7-screencast-problem-steps-recorder-psr.aspx

Problem Steps Recorder automatically capture the steps you take on a computer, including a text description of where you clicked and a picture of the screen during each click (called a screen shot). Once you capture these steps, you can save them to a file that can be used by a support professional or someone else helping you with a computer problem.

Your efforts to resolve this issue is very much appreciated. Get back to us with necessary information and we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answers to the questions: the short form is that I'm using all the most recent Pro / Business / 64 bit versions, with details as requested:

1. What is the language of the Operating System installed? English

2. Which version of Windows is installed on your computer? Is it 32 bit or 64 bit? 64 bit Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 10586.29

3. Which build of Windows 10 are you working on? 10586.29

4. What is the edition and version of Office ?  Office 2016 version 16.0.6366.2036

5. What is the language of Office installed? English

6. What is the build of Office? You may check this by going to FILE>Office Account> About Outlook.  32 bit

7. How Office was installed?  Office 365 Business subscription online

8. Press Windows + R, type in appwiz.cpl and press Enter. Take screen shot the Windows to know the information of iCloud installed and its version. Version 5.1.0.34

I'm not posting to OneDrive because we have a corporate policy to turn OneDrive off.  But in any event there is nothing to show using Step Recorder.  You are looking at an email and you try to scroll with your finger in the message pane and nothing happens.  Scrolling using the scrollbar works fine.  Scrolling with a mouse wheel works fine.

As detailed in the thread referenced above, lots of other people have the same problem.  Before you treat a report as an anomaly, see if you can get touch scrolling to work in Outlook with iCloud installed.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Micky,

Thank you for reply.

Please provide additional information.

1. If you disable iCloud Add-in scrolling feature Works?

2. Which all features stops working if you enable iCloud?

Let's create new user account and check if issue persists.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-10

I look forward to your reply to help you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The steps you are asking to try have already been done by people in the thread quoted above.  I am reluctant to try to reproduce the failures they describe because the iCloud / Outlook interaction is notoriously brittle, as described in the following thread with >80,000 page views: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7183850

Furthermore, such tinkering suggestions in the past have messed up my computer so much that I've needed to restore from a backup, as detailed at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_store/windows-store-wont-open-in-windows-10/8ff995d2-da1d-4b68-bc88-58b3f3761131.  So I am reluctant to add one more data point and take a risk of making the situation even worse, as documented in the thread cited in this paragraph.

Since multiple people described the scrolling problem caused by iCloud in the thread referenced in my original post, someone at Microsoft should see if they can find a computer with a touch screen where the problem does not occur before asking more people to take risks to provide one more data point in addition to the many already available.

I don't know what "Support Engineer" actually means, but I think this issue should be escalated to someone at Microsoft who is a programmer, or at least willing to try to reproduce a problem that seems to be universal in the configuration described.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are also Apple Support Communities threads detailing this touch scrolling problem:

One post says:

I can get the touch scrolling \to work by removing and recreating the Outlook profile, but as soon as I activate the iCloud add-in for calendar and contacts, the touch scrolling fails.

Many people have clicked "I have this problem too".

Does anyone have any indication that Apple is even aware of the problem?

Does anyone have any indication that Microsoft is even aware of the problem, other than "support engineers" acting as if anyone who documents this problem has an unusual malfunction specific to one computer?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mickey,

Thanks for articulating the issue so well.  Also, I share the frustration you clearly show with "support engineers" that basically regurgitate canned responses instead of actually trying to understand what you are describing and responding directly!

Microsoft:  please respond with an actual direct message to this thread.

EHB

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can confirm also that NONE of my tablets (TOTAL of 3 Windows tablets) have not work with iCloud installed.

The only fix is to uninstall or remove the Outlook sync in iCloud, which of course is a "NO GO" for me, because I'm an iPhone 6 owner, so that is out of the question.

I really hope there is a fix sometime soon. This problem has been widely known, and frankly is getting OLD.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Touch scrolling is still broken with the following combination of most recent versions:

• Microsoft Office 16.0.7167.2060
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update 14393.222
  • iCloud 6.0

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 1 Applies to: