How do I manage user licences within my organisation for office professional plus 2019

How do I manage user licences and installations within my organisation for office professional plus 2019

The only service and portal I see is for Office 365 which is a subscription service.

How do I manage user installations within my organisation?

Currently everyone that has been installed has fallen under my microsoft account.

(offering no privacy for each user)

We also have licences for project and visio that should also be managed under the company account rather than my personal account.

Andrew

Hi AndrewRomer,

Thank you for querying in this forum.

According to your description, it seems that you want to know how to manage user license and installations for Office professional plus 2019.

If my understanding is right, may I know if you are using volume licenses?

Generally, when you buy a subscription, you specify the number of licenses that you need, based on how many people you have in your organization. After you buy a subscription, you create accounts for people in your organization, and then assign a license to each person. As your organizational needs change, you can buy more licenses to accommodate new people, or reassign licenses to other users when someone leaves your organization. Then those users can download the related Office products according to the license you assigned.

And Microsoft Volume Licensing is a service offered by Microsoft for organizations that require multiple licenses, but not the software media, packaging and documentation supplied with the full packaged product (FPP). In software licensing, a volume licensing is the practice of selling a license authorizing one computer program to be used on a large number of computers or by a large number of users.

If you purchased volume licenses, since our category focus on Microsoft 365 business products, and the question you mentioned is related to Office volume licensing, to make sure you get professional help, we’d suggest you go to Volume Licensing Service Center to post a new thread, which is the specific channel to handle related questions.

If the scenario above is not consistent with yours, you can also post back and provide more details about your requirement and if you purchased volume licenses.

Your understanding and patience will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Sukie

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
• Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You are right. The Admin Portal is only for 365 subscriptions.  MS really wants you to switch from one-time-payment (2019) licenses to 365 (MORE MONEY!) so they do not manage 2019 licenses in the portal.

Sorry to say, you have to do it "manually".  The "Best Practice" I've seen described goes something like this

• Create a generic installation "admin" email account for Office 2019.
  • You can use it on up to 20 licenses, then create a new
  • When you install 2019, create a spreadsheet documenting :
    • admin ID,
    • password(optional),
    • computer ID/name,
    • 25 character product key.
  • This is not a problem since 2019 does not include OneDrive space and you do not have to sign in every 30 days to "verify" your subscription like you do with all 365 licenses.

You do not want to use regular user-ids for the install because when the user leaves the company and the ID is removed, you lose control of the license. You won't be able to re-install or transfer to new hardware without the original email account.

Yes, it sucks!

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

manage user license and installations for Office professional plus 2019.

After you buy a subscription, you create accounts for people in your organization, and then assign a license to each person.

NOTE:

Office 2019 Pro Plus is NOT a "subscription" license, only 365 licenses are subscription. 

THEREFORE as I said before, you should not assign one-time 2019 licenses to individuals.  When their userid is disabled when they leave the company, you lose access to the license and are forced to buy a new one!

This reply is confusing and bad advice!

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
Prof. Doug Fisher

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rohn007,

Thank you for posting your feedback here. 

For your concerns about "After you buy a subscription, you create accounts for people in your organization, and then assign a license to each person.", actually, it is not a suggestion, I just want to provide the detailed explanation about the difference between subscription and volume license.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Sukie

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
• Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Fair enough providing information about subscriptions, but your reply didn't address the original question about managing one-time payment licenses.

I didn't take issue with your reply until another softie decided to mark it as answer.  At that point it went from information to "truth" provided by a softie and "verified" by another softie. That made it not the correct answer to the question which is why I felt I had to comment on it.

Do you softies get "brownie points" or check marks or something for performance evaluations based on replies marked as answers?

Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2023 Views 895 Applies to: