Windows Update (Error 0x80080008)

Recently I`ve been experiencing problems with windows update. Everytime I click "check for updates" the following err message comes up:

I`ve tried Windows update troubleshooter, It fixed the issue temporarly, but today After restart, the problem appeared again, and the dignostic says: "Service registration is missing or corrupt" (Not fixed) any Idea how to perm fix this?,,,

Any help appreciated, thx in advance.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Answer
Answer

Hi Andrej,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft forums.

From the issue description, I understand that you are getting the error 0x80080008 when you are trying to install Windows updates on the computer.

This issue occurs because the Wups2.dll file that is included in the latest version of Windows Update is installed incorrectly.

Method 1:

If you have automatic updating turned on, the latest version of the Windows Update Agent is downloaded and installed automatically on your computer.  

If you do not have automatic updating turned on, follow these steps to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent:

a. Open Control Panel, and then tapping or clicking Windows Update.

b. Tap or click Change settings.

c. Under Important updates, choose Install updates automatically.

d. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click OK.

Method 2: Also, follow these steps to start the Windows Update service
a. On the Start screen, type cmd. Alternatively, swipe in from the right, tap or click Search, and then type cmd.

b. Tap or click cmd in the search results.

c. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:

net start bits

net start wuauserv

Hope this helps.

Please post back if the issue persists and we will be glad to assist you

116 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 116,887 Applies to: