"You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Setup"

Windows Insider Preview

Win10 Pro (WIP)

Version 1607

Build 14366

Computer: HP TouchSmart 610f (PC)

I have posted this several times since the release of build 14367 on Jun 18. After successfully installing build 14366, 3 days later 14367 was released. This is when this problem started and has persisted with every build update since.

Attempting download and install Update 14367, I got an error, "You cannot install Windows on USB Flash Drive using Setup". I have not used a USB Flash Drive at any time since updating to Win10 Pro (WIP) over a year ago. All updates prior to 14367 have installed correctly and run properly. (Please see attached screenshot from update 14383, which is typical of all updates since 14367)

Before offering answers, note that I have run Update Troubleshooter, run sfc/scannow and chkdsk/f, and MS 'Fixit'. Registry check Control, Portable... Already set to (1). I have been to multiple forums and attempted all of the 'fixes' offered, none have worked.

One of the forums offered repairs using the Win10 ISO file, and said to download the most recent version. Attempting the download of the option Windows Insider Preview, Win10 ISO Update 14366 (which I am currently stuck on running) The download selection sends me to a verification page, where it sits with a spinning wheel, one attempt lasting several hours, never verifying my version/build. 

Here is the screenshot, with notes explaining the process and my current situation.

All install attempts stop at 25% which is when Error window comes up. I do not know why I get this error with my Win 10 installed on my root drive C: and was not installed from a USB Flash Drive. I have attempted the install with ALL USB devices disconnected. I have gone into BIOS and disabled ALL boot drives except my root drive, so BIOS is not looking for a USB drive. I have posted this to the Insider Feedback Hub, the Windows Insider forum, Windows Answers, third party Win 10 forums, every possible place that might have an answer, with no success. I even went to the Windows Support Call page and made the call, and was put on HOLD for an hour and 52 minutes, before giving up on that possibility. 

If there are ANY Win10 Insider Preview experts monitoring this forum, PLEASE tell me how I can fix this without wiping my drive and doing a clean install, as backups do not save apps, or personal files. (not sure what good backups are). 

Answer
Answer

Mel

As I posted, "I have gone into BIOS and disabled ALL boot drives except my root drive, so BIOS is not looking for a USB drive. "

HOWEVER, after a month of posting on every available forum, multiple answers said to go into Regedit, HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/System/Control and change 'Portable Operating System' from '0' to '1', however mine already was '1'. I found one lonely post that said "if using a PC, you must change from '1' to '0'." So I did, and lo and behold, updates are installing again!!  Have not yet finished installing but it has now gone well past 25% and is loading slowly with no error messages! I will report back when it finishes, hopefully with all updates finished and running the latest build. If it is installing every update since 14367, it is going to take a while. If the latest update 14393 installs all the other it will take less time, but the good news is it is working!!

I wish there was a way to broadcast this fix across all Win10 forums, as there are hundreds out there with this problem and this simple fix should be known to all!!

I will repost when finished, hopefully with good news!!

Doug

MS User since DOS 2.0
Netware CNA/CNE
Windows Insider since 2015
#1- Win 10 Pro V.1803, B.1725.10 and STOPPED
#2- Win 10 Pro V.1809, B.18305.1 and GOING!

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2021 Views 2,657 Applies to: