Inking in OneNote on Surface Pro 3 disappears!

I am using the 9926 build of Windows 10 Tech preview on a Surface Pro3. I have both OneNote 2013 and OneNote Tech Preview installed. If i try to use the ink on any of these OneNote apps the ink most times disappears after a few seconds. On some occasions if I minimize OneNote the ink will remain visible one the screen but will disappear once i switch back to OneNote (it will not be in OneNote neither). I have all the latest drivers and updates installed. is this a known issue?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Oh, I also wanted to mention that while speaking with one of my students today, I saw that he has a new surface pro 3 with windows 10 (pre-installed) and uses Office 2013. He said he has not noticed any issues with ink disappearing. Why would this only affect some people and not others?

is he just typing in onenote or actually using the pen?

personally, i don't notice ink disappearing until i start drawing things and coloring in large empty spaces.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm using Win.10, office 2013 and still having the disappearing ink problem.  I will be writing in meetings and after 30 minutes of use, ink start to disappear.  The only way around it for me is to write without touching the screen with my hand; inconvenient, but better than nothing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using the 9926 build of Windows 10 Tech preview on a Surface Pro3. I have both OneNote 2013 and OneNote Tech Preview installed. If i try to use the ink on any of these OneNote apps the ink most times disappears after a few seconds. On some occasions if I minimize OneNote the ink will remain visible one the screen but will disappear once i switch back to OneNote (it will not be in OneNote neither). I have all the latest drivers and updates installed. is this a known issue?

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering. Have anything changed with the recent official release of Office 2016?

Around late August, I've reverted back to Windows 8.1 because of this annoying problem and the "touch-being-recognized-as-a-right-click" problem that happened to my Surface 3 running Windows 10 and using OneNote 2013.

I just realized that, after upgrading my Office 2013 to Office 2016 with my Office 365 subscription, OneNote 2016 seemed to be lagging less when writing for a lengthened period of time. I know that the ink-disappearing problem occurred in the Office 2016 pre-release versions on Windows 10. But have anything changed with the official release?

I was just curious because I've been getting less mails notifying any updates on this thread!

I'm very looking forward to re-upgrade my Surface 3 to Windows 10 if this annoying problem is solved!

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm on win.10 andI rolled back to office 2013just a Couple of days ago because my ink was still being deleted in OneNote 2016.  So in these couple of days I have not had this INK DELETION problem with win10 and OneNote 2013.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just upgraded from Onenote 2013 to Onenote 2016 and still get disappearing ink, so the problem has not been fixed by Microsoft.

Running Win 10 on Surface 3 Pro i7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A recent update (Sep 26th) on this thread from Mavis, a guy claiming to be from the OneNote Team, says that he hopes to have an update on the status of the bug by the end of this week (2nd of October).

I think this means that Microsoft and the OneNote Team has almost rectified the problem, I guess.

I think they would (and really they should) have a solution by the next week's October 6th Windows 10 (and probably Surface Pro 4) event.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-onenote/chris-spera-contact-information-per-gabe-aul-tweet/695887ee-88f7-4e9a-9584-8cacfa31e019?page=11&msgId=a45b517d-4ea9-4f97-a11a-cf2cc7c58396

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I use a Surface Pro 3 (SP3) on Win 10.

Issue 1:

One Note 2013 (ON13) pen selection freezes up repeatedly. Accidentally I found that pressing the button next to minimise, and selecting 'Show Ribbon' would unfreeze it - sometimes for long, sometimes for a very short period. If it freezes for too long, closing and opening the program is required.

During this type of freezing, pen selection is disbaled. I can draw with the previously chosen pen.

Issue 2:

When my hand is on the screen ON13, at times, goes to  the "File" menu and the cursor 'vibrates' around the 'Back Arrow' button on top LHS of screen.

Usually this requires a  restart if ON13!

Issue 3:

Eraser use has become a nightmare.

Issue 4:

At any time pens can freeze up.

Overall, a smooth as silk experience has turned in to buggy one with Win10 upgrade! MS where are you? Hope the promise early October upgrade liberates us from these issues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm a girl ;)

Update released!

We've released an update today on Windows 10. Please run Windows update and restart the device. The restart is required.

The update should resolve the tap becomes right click bug. It should also resolve the ink disappearing bug for most users, or at least reduce it.

The install is numbered KB3093266. It may take sometime to show up on everyone's devices.

Article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3093266

Reply back on this thread if you are still hitting either of these bugs

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no update for me :(

Is the fix already present in the current Windows 10 Insider build? Or should this update also be distributed to Insiders?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As Mavis said, the update might take some time to show up on everyone's devices.
If you don't see it right now, check back in some days. There is no chance at all you will not get an update, so just wait until you have it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2022 Views 10,006 Applies to: