Build 18908 & 18912: WU uses excessive amount of memory during the update (officially a bug now)

June 12 update: Build 18917

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/06/12/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18917/#vchqdvWYptJ2OWfL.97

General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC 

• We fixed an issue where some users experienced a 0x8007000E error code while downloading the build due to high RAM consumption.

June 5 update by Jason [MSFT]:

"Turns out this has been isolated and a fix is already underway.
The bug affects either architecture.  Hoping to have the fix done in time to make next week's flight.

I am digging for detail on if this is a down-level or up-level bug which will determine when you'll see it as being "fixed". More details to come."

Anyone else experiencing this strange behavior please upvote: https://aka.ms/AA56xru

We had this exact same issue in the past with Build 18237. Despite the amount of votes, no official answer was ever given.

Not only the first 3 tries failed with different errors and bounces, specifically error code 0x8007000e (totally out of the ordinary on itself for me personally), but memory usage was excessively high at all times, between 3 and 3.5GB.

After some troubleshooting including a WU reset, the 4th try went well and memory usage was normal.

Then I decided to restore a backup and start over, do one more just for testing purposes.

This last time the update went well without requiring any intervention, no bounces and no errors but memory usage continued to be excessively high, 3.5GB steady with spikes of up to 4.3GB.

I've seen occasional spikes in the past but never anything like today, this it insane!

See more screenshots from Build 18912 update on page 3

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

A health check went fine but sfc /scannow failed the first time at 30%. Tried in safe mode and failed again. Then during the restart, I got messages about Windows updating and 2 restarts when in fact the update was hours ago. The last restart ended up with the infamous black screen / spinning dots, something that I've never experience before, ever!

Ran hardware diagnostics and virus/malware scans and everything passed so I have to assume that there's something definitively amiss with this build or the update process.

edit: also, Windows Security turned itself OFF without intervention after the last restart.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I watched my SP4 (Intel i5 6300 with 4GB memory, SSD 120GB) as it installed and it ran at about 1200MB max (WU) while installing with no problems, It did get to 92% overall memory use though

I can't say about Hyper-V as it was done remotely

Windows 10 and 11 Insider Page - https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

During my attempts to update a 32bit Insider fast PC to 18908 I also experienced high Memory, Disk and CPU usage. This is not the first time I have had this with 32bit builds.

At one point I had Very high Memory usage (2.9MB of only 3.1MB,  SSD Disk usage from 50 - 70%, CPU up to 50% at my max

of 3.40GHz

Eventually the install Failed again with 0x80070003

Apparently I will need min. 16GB RAM for Win 12 perhaps even 32 GB RAM.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ran hardware diagnostics and virus/malware scans and everything passed so I have to assume that there's something definitively amiss with this build or the update process.

edit: also, Windows Security turned itself OFF without intervention after the last restart.

Not showing any of these symptoms. You may be correct with your assumption of the update process as I did a total clean install via ISO and an upgrade from 18362.145 offline. Appears some others had no issue installing this way.

Never did like using WU since they changed to uup files from the esd file for upgrading. Just takes too long.

Johnny

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Never did like using WU since they changed to uup files from the esd file for upgrading.

Just takes too long.

I couldn't agree more. The WU process is too slow, cumbersome and very susceptible to failures.

What I hate the most is the extra download if the update fails. If UUP dump script can verify checksum and only download corrupted or missing files, why can't WU do the same instead of downloading the whole thing all over again? I sure miss W7 updates and having TOTAL control over it.

I use WU just for testing purposes, check for bugs, failures and such but I always restore my backup image afterwards and re-install using the ISO from UUP dump.

I feel better and more confident of the outcome performing a fast and straightforward update that way.

How's your wife doing?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I use WU just for testing purposes, check for bugs, failures and such but I always restore my backup image afterwards and re-install using the ISO from UUP dump.

That makes two of us. Miss the W7 style of total control. Seems in all MS wisdom of removing and hiding everything, may be great for non-tech savvy users, sure not for the rest of us. Been over a year since I used WU for a major upgrade. Good concept if only it worked for everyone.

She coming along, eating well, but still in pain. Silly girl moved a heavy mattress by herself and now popped something out of place. Had to give her s**t over that as she is only skin and bones. Lost over 35 lbs and she a small woman to begin with.

Johnny

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems in all MS wisdom of removing and hiding everything, may be great for non-tech savvy users, sure not for the rest of us.

Actually, I think it's pretty bad for them too because regular users get easily frustrated when WU fails and more often than not, the failure error message (if any) doesn't help much.

Glad she's doing well, best wishes! 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Those cryptic hex error codes certainly don't help novices, and the rest of us have to know how to plow through searches, event logs, and these forums.  If MS really wants to give us something we need, they could work on providing plain text messages explaining these instead of giving us a whole lot of silly stuff most of us have no use for.  But there I go wasting my keystrokes again!  :(

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Those cryptic hex error codes certainly don't help novices, and the rest of us have to know how to plow through searches, event logs, and these forums.  If MS really wants to give us something we need, they could work on providing plain text messages explaining these instead of giving us a whole lot of silly stuff most of us have no use for.  But there I go wasting my keystrokes again!  :(

Agreed, you would think that MS could give a proper brief explanation of what went wrong instead of these hex error codes. Must be their method of driving us to use Search for ad revenue :-) 

Johnny

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with memory and I gave up trying to get 18908

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 8, 2023 Views 1,960 Applies to: