Syncing Error (probably) with Teams and OneNote

I am assigning my students OneNote assignments through Teams. However, after I've assigned them, most students did not receive the OneNote assignment. When students click the assignment's OneNote page, they are taken to an old assignment page. The new page does not show up anywhere on OneNote, and I've checked on my mobile, desktop, and tablet. This is happening across multiple Teams. I am not sure what the problem is. I have tried to force sync OneNote through the desktop app, but I think the error is occurring somewhere within Teams. There is no way that I can see to manually sync the OneNote within Teams.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Hannah Hebel,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to your works. From your description, when you create an assignment and attach a note page from Microsoft Teams, you found that the note page isn’t distributed correctly to all your students. And it happened to all of your Teams groups.

I also tried to reproduce this issue in my test environment which I created an assignment in Teams > Add Resources > Class Notebook> and choose a page to distribute to a student’s section. It seems that it can distribute it successfully from my side. If my reproduce steps are different from yours, please point out and let me know.

More importantly, may I know the following information at your convenience?

1: Have you tried to create a new class team and see whether the same behavior occurred?

2: How about the other colleagues in your organization? Does the same behavior happen?

At meantime, if you are using Microsoft Teams desktop application, I suggest you can try to open Microsoft Teams web application and see whether Assignments in function.

Best regards,

Dihao

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Hannah Hebel,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to your works. From your description, when you create an assignment and attach a note page from Microsoft Teams, you found that the note page isn’t distributed correctly to all your students. And it happened to all of your Teams groups.

I also tried to reproduce this issue in my test environment which I created an assignment in Teams > Add Resources > Class Notebook> and choose a page to distribute to a student’s section. It seems that it can distribute it successfully from my side. If my reproduce steps are different from yours, please point out and let me know.

More importantly, may I know the following information at your convenience?

1: Have you tried to create a new class team and see whether the same behavior occurred?

2: How about the other colleagues in your organization? Does the same behavior happen?

At meantime, if you are using Microsoft Teams desktop application, I suggest you can try to open Microsoft Teams web application and see whether Assignments in function.

Best regards,

Dihao

Thanks for the response! Yes, those were the steps I was following. It used to work fine, but has been an issue apparently since about the 15th? Or 16th? Some students hadn't had assignments since that point. As for your suggestions, my district doesn't allow for the creation of new teams for teachers, so I cannot try to create a new class. Other colleagues mentioned that they were having similar issues. Unfortunately, I cannot view Teams from my web browser, as I am using a Mac and Safari. 

It seems to be a syncing error. I can force the Notebook to sync by having students create a new, blank page. That forces the notebook to sync. But it seems like it's too many steps for something that should just work. I feel like the embedded versions need to have a force sync button like I do on the desktop or other stand-alone apps for OneNote. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Hannah Hebel,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation. There should be a service incident at this moment. And the following the details about this service incident.

This issue has posted to the Service Health Dashboard (SHD) as incident SP209933 starting on 20 April 2020 at 11:14:00 PM UTC.

Title: Delays for OneNote consumer and education activities

User Impact: Users may see delays performing actions in OneNote.

More info: Affected OneNote actions include:

- Cross-device sync

- Stale search results (new content may not appear in OneNote search)

Additionally, education users may see delays for the following actions when using the assignments feature:

- Distributing attached files to student assignments

- Deleting files

- Provisioning assignment features for new created classes.

- New student access to folders and assignments

Note: if your activity has not completed after the throttle has expired, please retry the action.

Current status: After extensive monitoring and careful examination, we’ve determined that ensuring the stability of SharePoint-driven services across your region will require the throttles remain in place for another 24-hour period. We’ve taken additional steps to lift and loosen some of the previous throttles to help improve performance for certain SharePoint experiences described above. We’ll continue monitoring the service health of the region during this time and will re-assess the number and strength of the throttles necessary to secure ongoing service stability for your region.

Scope of impact: Admins, standard OneNote, and education users within the affected environment may experience the delays if performing the previously stated actions.

The tenant administrator can view current information and updates on SHD at the link here.

If you are experiencing a similar issue and do not see an SHD post, please let us know by sharing your tenant information via Private Message (PM) as this may indicate either a scoping issue or an independent problem.

This thread will be locked so that affected customers to easily identify the information here. You may subscribe to this thread or refer to SHD for the updated information. We will also post back here once the issue has been resolved.

We appreciate your feedback and patience.

Best Regards,

Dihao

-----------------------
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all,

Service Health Dashboard has indicated that issue SP209933 has been resolved on Wednesday, April 22, 2020, at 12:50 AM UTC. If you are still experiencing an issue, please let us know as this may indicate either a scoping issue or an independent problem.

Best regards,

Dihao

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Service Health Dashboard has indicated that issue SP209933 has been resolved on Wednesday, April 22, 2020, at 12:50 AM UTC. If you are still experiencing an issue, please let us know as this may indicate either a scoping issue or an independent problem.

I'm sorry to say that we are experience this issue since two or three days.

students and teachers see the correct assigned notebook page for a glimpse, and then an old page (I think, it is the previous, last assigned one) is loaded and displayed.

This is really bad, as we introduced onenote-based assignments school wide last week, teachers love, students too, and suddenly I get support tickets vom teachers and students an mass.

Any fast help /solution is really, really appreciated!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I double checked with web client and Windows-Teams-app.

In one assignment, I get some onenote pages correctly shown, and some load first the correct ohne, display for  one second, and then loading the previous one, during feedback (for one assignment!)

This happing for different Teams (new and old ones).

This happens sometimes to unedited and sometimes to unedited (by students) pages.

There seems to be no rule for which student /assignment the right page is loaded, and for whom the right loads, then the (presumably previous one) loads 1 second later.

If this happens, it does it all the time for same student/assignment combination and works for the other ones.

It does not go away by waiting for a day or two.

This also happens for students, viewing the OneNote pages attached to an assignment, by web client and mobile client.

Can I provide further information?

This is a real problem, almost a show stopper.

Any workaround (viewing pages in browser by manually navigating to them) is an no go for students. And most teachers.

Regards!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all,
we do experience the same behavoiur: 

Teams Assignments opens the wrong OneNote-Page of the students. 
In teacher's view it opens the right one, then closes it and opens an old one. 

I need to send my students to OneNote-App to do their work. That's nearly impossible for a few of them. Very strange: A few of them do get the right one, most don't.  

Please, do fix this!

Fo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here, first time noticed last week.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

we are also experiencing the same problem and I also want to support Dave's point that this really is a huge problem and a show stopper as it creates frustration with my colleagues.

At my end, a fast solution would thus also be highly appreciated!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2022 Views 1,077 Applies to: