When I log in, I am seeing Outlook.com instead of Hotmail

Why am I seeing Outlook.com instead of Hotmail when I log in?
Answer
Answer

You may be seeing Outlook.com because your account was automatically upgraded from Hotmail. Hotmail customers who were upgraded automatically to Outlook.com were notified in advance via email.

Why am I seeing Outlook.com instead of Hotmail when I log in?

As we announced on Feb 19th, Outlook.com has come out of consumer preview.  Now that Outlook.com is out of preview, Hotmail users will begin to gradually see the new Outlook.com experience when they login. When users are upgraded, everything in the inbox - @hotmail.com email address, password, messages, folders, contacts, rules, vacation replies, etc. – are automatically transferred to Outlook.com. There’s no requirement to change your email address as part of the upgrade.

Can I switch back to Hotmail?

Hotmail will be phased out by and Outlook.com will be the free email service from Microsoft. As part of this transition, we've removed the option to switch back to Hotmail.

For more information about the automatic upgrade and Outlook.com please click here.

I just tried to upgrade my Hotmail inbox to Outlook.com but got an error page.  What’s going on?

A: We’ve experienced a tremendous amount of excitement since Outlook.com came out of consumer preview.  As millions of users upgrade, we want to make sure that Outlook.com works well for everyone. Upgrades may be limited for some users in some markets, but we are working hard to make upgrades available to everyone soon; please check back in a couple of days. You can continue to send and receive email from your Hotmail inbox as usual.

I just tried to log in to my Outlook.com but got an error page.  What’s going on?

A: Microsoft is aware of a login issue affecting a small number of customers attempting to access Outlook.com via the URL http://outlook.com. We’re working quickly to address this issue, but in the meantime we recommend affected users login to their inboxes via http://mail.live.com.  Users will see a Hotmail logo, but when you login you will be taken to your normal Outlook.com inbox. Mobile, POP3, and other entry points are not affected.

For more information about the automatic upgrade and Outlook.com please click here.

50 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2023 Views 81,486 Applies to: