Turn OFF permissions!!!!!!!!!

Is there ANY way to turn OFF this permissions thingy?!?!

I am soooooooooooooooo tired of MY machine giving me "Access denied" or "You need permissions from <MYSELF>" errors!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And NO--I'm NOT going waste MORE time,  monkeying around with user account, etc.!!!!  Been there....done that!  And STILL doesn't work!!!!)

Why do I need permissions to do ANYTHING--on MY machine?!?!?!?!?!  If I'm willing and determined to (accidentally) delete an important system file on MY machine--why should windows get in my way?!?!?!

Hackers don't seem to have much difficulty placing hidden files on our machines--so, why shouldn't WE be able to move, copy or delete files from our OWN machines?!?

Since this permission thing, is obviously flawed--is there some way to turn off all of this permissions stuff, so that I can determine what files are to be moved, copied and/or deleted (on MY machine?)

Geez!

Hi Robert

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

See if disabling Controlled Folder Access temporarily resolves this problem.
Open Windows Defender Security Center
Click Virus & threat protection
Click Virus & threat protection settings

Scroll down to Controlled folder access
Toggle it off

in later versions

Open Windows Defender Security Center
Click Virus & threat protection
Click Ransomware protection
Toggle off Controlled folder access

or

Do this from the command line:

Open Start, type: CMD
Right click CMD
Click Run as administrator

Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)

TAKEOWN /F C:\ /R /D Y

Once you have taken ownership, then you have to set the permissions; for this, you use ICACLS:

ICACLS "C:\" /reset /T
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,
I am Ganesh Gandhi, an Independent Advisor, 18 years experienced windows guide. I am here to work with you on this problem.

Kindly follow these steps to disable permissions related notifications:
Turn off User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 10:

Type UAC in the search field on your taskbar. (If the search field isn't visible, right-click the Start button and choose Search.)
Click Change User Account Control settings in the search results.
Then do one of the following:
To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify and click OK.
To turn UAC on, drag the slider up to the desired level of security and click OK.
You may be prompted to confirm your selection or enter an administrator password.
Reboot your computer for the change to take effect.

To Stop Windows 10 From Asking For Administrator Rights:
Go to Control Panel. ...
Now tap System and Security.
Now go to Security and Maintenance.
Now click on the arrow beside Security to open the dropdown list.
Now scroll down and find out the Windows Smart-screen option.

For C drive access to full rights:
Right-click on your C Drive, and choose Properties.
Go to Security tab.
Click Advanced, then Change Permissions.
Highlight the user, and click Edit.
Choose This folder, subfolders and files under Applies to:.
Choose Full Control under Basic Permissions.
Hit OK.

Do let me know if you require any further help on this. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Note:
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried MANY "solutions", using the UAC--all of which didn't work!!

This is why I refuse to waste any more time with it.

Thanks, anyway!

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Results:  Some Folders/files -> SUCCESSFUL; some folders/files -> INFO: The system cannot find the path specified....
(If the path didn't exist--why was the system trying to "find" it in the first place??)

Results: C:" /reset /T: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

So, there isn't any SWITCH or SETTING that I can switch to OFF--so I can stop this permissions monkey business?

(Even after performing the suggested commands--I am STILL receiving "You require permission from <MYSELF> to make changes to this file"!!!)

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As an alternative, I suggest opening the window and tossing your computer onto the pavement. You'll accomplish the same thing, but it's more fun to watch a computer splatter into pieces.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not affiliated in any way with Directly or their Independent Advisors.

197 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Results:  Some Folders/files -> SUCCESSFUL; some folders/files -> INFO: The system cannot find the path specified....
(If the path didn't exist--why was the system trying to "find" it in the first place??)

Results: C:" /reset /T: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

So, there isn't any SWITCH or SETTING that I can switch to OFF--so I can stop this permissions monkey business?

(Even after performing the suggested commands--I am STILL receiving "You require permission from <MYSELF> to make changes to this file"!!!)

From the "TAKEOWN" command, where one of the files something like this? 

The files in :  C:\Users\Default.migrated\Documents  or C:\Users\<Users account>\My Documents or C:\Users\<Users account>\Cookies  ? 

If that is the case, then the problem is actually obviously due to the fact that those files are no longer on the computer.  Those files are now displayed as a shortcut.  The reason why they are there, was when your device upgraded to windows 10 from 7 or 8, the default names for default user document location, was changed.  My Documents became Documents, website cookies are located now in a different location, Application Data has been renamed to a shorter name called AppData.  The content of those folders were copied over to the new named folders during the upgrade.  However the old folders stayed in case the user wanted to roll back or if there was a error during the copying process.  Thus those folders were like a backup. 

However though just like "Windows.old", after a certain amount of time, the original document folders from the old OS would be removed from the computer.  At some point in time during the installation or removal (I do not remember exactly what was the process of the upgrade), there will be a shortcut replacing where the folders were located and the old folders were moved.  During the deletion of the old folders, it has been known to occur that the shortcuts were not delted even though the folders were. 

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As a result, security set at LOWEST level; ALL users have FULL CONTROL under Basic Permissions.

I am STILL receiving "You require permission from <MYSELF> to make changes to this file" message!!!!

That's it!!! I'm done!!!

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would suggest you try performing a repair upgrade. There seems to be an issue with your installation:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had performed an initial install of a newer version of Windows.  Time for a repair upgrade, already??

This is just plain STUPID!!!!

If I'm not getting "You require permission from <MYSELF>..."--I'm getting the "Insufficient privileges to access this directory!"

(Or the "Failed to enumerate objects in the container.  Access denied.")

Is there just SOME way to turn OFF all of this permission, privilege, etc. CRAP?!?!?

It's getting to a point where I can't even install an application due to permissions or privilege issues!!!!!!!

Geez!  It seems easier for a CAMEL to go through the eye of NEEDLE--than to accomplish a (seemingly) SIMPLE task in Windows!!!!

164 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 63,566 Applies to: