Random BSOD coming out of Sleep Windows 20H2

Let me first say, I have done all the usual recommendations. Update to latest drivers, Memtest, Windows Update... Memtest shows no errors, Windows Update is now 20H2. SFC shows no errors, same with CHKDSK.

Device:  HP Pavilion 15-CS2xxx series I-7-8565U, 24Gb, 4Gb NVidia, 480 SSD. There were no hardware/software changes prior to this starting other than Windows and Office update.

I am getting random BSODs which happen only when coming out of sleep. I do not use Hibernation, only Hybrid sleep. The latest is a

0x01a PTE Memory Management error according to Parameter 1 and 2

Prior errors have been 0x12b, 0x3b, and c1. 

The only statement I can make as to consistency is it happens if I have not restarted/shutdown and just have used Sleep mode more than five times. It then happens sometime later coming out of sleep  Otherwise, if I shutdown once a day, there is no issue.

It also does not happen if I just disable sleep and hibernation. As stated, only coming out of sleep mode.

The simple answer is to not use Sleep, but would prefer to not go that route.

Thanks in advance

Hi Ossipon,

I'm Paul, an Independent Advisor. I hope I can help you with your concern.

Please upload the minidump files Windows created when you encountered BSOD. It will help us determine what caused the PC to crash.

1. Open Windows File Explorer
2. Go to C:\Windows\Minidump
3. Zip those files
4. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.).
5. Then share the link here.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Attached is the OneDrive minidump file link. It expires 5/17/21

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The minidump file indicated "hardware; memory_corruption". Did you have at least 8 passes when you run Memtest?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, as well as a different memory test. And with 24Gb it is obviously not quick.

Like I said, it only happens on occasion when I have let it go to hybrid sleep more than five times. If I am consistent on shutdown each day and not just let it go to sleep multiple times during the day and then overnight, it does not occur. It also does not happen if I disable sleep.

I looked at the history. it started following update to 20H2 from 1903. I have been using 20H2 since January. At first I thought it might be NVidia incompatibility following update and it stopped for awhile after installing the latest available for MX250 v466.11. It started up again recently with two BSOD in past week

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I recommend that you run Driver Verifier to find any misbehaving, corrupted, or outdated driver.
Follow the instructions from this article.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5470-enable...

Reminders:
=> Disable Driver Verifier after 48 hours or after receiving a BSOD.
=> Create a Restore Point before running Driver Verifier.

Share the minidump file once you receive a BSOD error.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites.
The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I said in the initial post, I had already done the prior suggestion. This included what you suggest, albeit with a different mechanism to test drivers. All drivers are current and updated, and tested to be both appropriate and latest. It is in my mind something with 20H2 and coming out of Hybrid Sleep. It did not start until after upgrading to 20H2 and is not consistent as to application or other things than multiple times of going into Hybrid Sleep. As stated, it only happens at some point after five or more Hybrid Sleep use. If I shut down or restart daily, it does not happen. As stated, I thought it might have been the NVidia driver as there were two 0x3b initially. I updated, and it did disappear for a period of time. But, it recurred in the past week. 

I have been doing IT since 85 and have suffered through the many iterations of Desktop/Server OS. (DOS, W3, 95... to W10). I wish TechNet still existed in its former state, I got better response then than now. I know how to read the mini-dumps and Full dumps. I had hoped for a better response/suggestions than what I have gotten thus far.

I guess I will continue to search and self-diagnose if nothing else is suggested.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't think of any other solution. The issue is more complex than I expected. Let see if more experienced community experts can give you different solutions. I hope someone will be able to help you.
I apologize for not being able to solve the issue.

Thanks for your time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 30, 2022 Views 115 Applies to: