NSA Reported Security Vulnerability Patch Hardware Dependent?

My HP Compaq nc6120 runs Windows 10 1709 with all the quality updates currently offered by Windows Update. Reading about the recent NSA reported security vulnerability,  I downloaded patch KB4534276 from http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ and ran it; after about 10 minutes it said something like ‘This update is not applicable to your machine’. Does anyone know whether the vulnerability is actually hardware dependent?

Brian

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Brian,
I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

Because 1709 is an unsupported release, you would not get the Patch for the vulnerability discovered last week. Microsoft patches only supported releases of Windows, which are 1809 and later.

Try updating to 1909 using Media Creation tool and if it fails let us know.

The fastest way to get the upgrade is through Media creation tool or ISO file.
Please download Media Creation Tool from the link below and select Upgrade this PC at the first screen.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

All steps, including upgrading using ISO file and Media creation tool, are covered here:

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2019/11/update...

Content on the above blog is written by a Microsoft MVP so it is safe.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the prompt response Sumit.

This site:

https://www.komando.com/security-privacy/nsa-windows-10-security-flaw-how-to-download-patch/701839/

Specifically says KB4534276 is for 1709 and I’ve already tried over many months using every possible way (including the .iso) to upgrade to later feature updates (1803, 1809, 1903) - they typically churn for several hours then fail at the final reboot with the wonderfully baffling stop code 'IRQL not less or equal' which appears in the update history as 0xc1900101. It's said to be caused by a driver that won't migrate, but nobody seems to be able to decode the logs to show which device is causing the problem.

Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>Specifically says KB4534276 is for 1709

This is for Windows 10 1709 Enterprise and Education. For Home and Pro updates stopped a long ago.

Is there a C:/Windows/Memory.dmp file?

Or Setupmem.dmp in $Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback folder?
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Sumit, I was beginning to suspect the patch might be for Enterprise & Education only.

The last regular Quality Update Windows Update applied was KB4023814 on 6 Nov 2019 so not all that long ago.

There are no:

C:\Windows\Memory.dmp

or

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\ Setupmem.dmp

files, but there are:

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.log

and

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setuperr.log

I would’ve thought one of these would include a clear error message saying which device prevented the Feature Upgrade, but if it does I can’t see it. Setupact.log only logs the rollback activities while setuperr.log only contains the text below which doesn’t mean anything me.

Brian

:

<2020-01-18 16:56:26, Error                 DU     DU::CDUSession::Search: Failed to set WU internal configuration property for targeted scans. hr = 0x80070057

2020-01-18 16:58:33, Error                 CONX   0xd0000034 Failed to add user mode driver [%SystemRoot%\system32\DRIVERS\UMDF\uicciso.dll]

2020-01-18 17:11:29, Error                 SP     pSPRemoveUpgradeRegTree: failed to delete reg tree HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade[gle=0x00000005]

2020-01-18 17:13:24, Error                 CSI    00000001 (F) 80220008 [Error,Facility=FACILITY_STATE_MANAGEMENT,Code=8] #64810# from CWcmScalarInstanceCore::GetCurrentValue(options = 393216, status = '(null)', value = { type: 40972, bytes ( 12 ): 65006e002d00550053000000 })

[gle=0x80004005]

2020-01-18 17:19:53, Error                        CSetupAutomation::Resurrect: File not found: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\automation.dat[gle=0x00000002]

2020-01-18 17:19:53, Error                 SP     CSetupPlatform::ResurrectAutomation: Failed to resurrect automation: 0x80070002[gle=0x00000002]

2020-01-18 17:32:18, Error                 MOUPG  Finalize: Error reading narrator reg key: [0x80070002] >

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please share Setupact.log and Setuperr.log from C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther for next steps.
Sumit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here are the logs

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsfPm8b_xhXJgaI8oa5OXM5I3p6XKg?e=oteYwv

Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Brian, apparently the logs were incomplete and probably removed by Windows.

Before I ask you to try again I would like to ask how old is the PC?
Sumit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had it since 2014, so I guess it dates from about 2012. Any idea why Windows would delete potentially useful logs?

Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are no exact reasons why it would, but it is seen Windows tends to delete it when the space is low or it becomes excessively large.

Is it possible for you to try again and let it fail? You may try in a clean boot state to maximize the success chances.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135...
Sumit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried again in a clean boot and after the usual hour or so got the same error during final reboot. Here’s a link to the logs which are at least bigger this time...

Brian

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsfPm8b_xhXJgaJAgspbdO7l_uECBg?e=RsguNH

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2020 Views 132 Applies to: