Blue Screen - Caused by Driver ntoskrnl.exe

Hi I was hoping someone could analyse this mini dump and see if they could point me in the correct direction.

Almost a year ago I started to get BSODs on my previous PC, cause was nearly always Caused by Driver: ntoskrnl.exe, but the Bug Check String usually differed.

I spent may many months trying to resolve it, bought new memory, did some serious program and driver removal and tried very hard to narrow it down. Part of the issue was that it was very sporadic, occurring maybe once a week which meant that it was hard to see if changes had made any different.

Long story short, I gave up and bought a new motherboard and processor, and setup a new PC.

After running the new PC for about a month I have now had two BSOD in the last 3 days. Potentially the same cause. I'm very distraught :-(

Bug Check String: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR

Caused by Driver: ntoskrnl.exe

The only components that have carried over from the old PC are the power supply, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, and then various peripherals such as mice and keyboards. It also contains a couple of the same drives as backup data drives, but the C: drive is a new NVMe SSD.

I had a complete reinstall of all software, but obviously many of the programs reinstalled will be the same as on the old system as I run most of the same software and drivers for the peripherals.

If anyone could take a look and hopefully point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/SharingBucket/011021-7671-01.dmp

At this time, I’ve tried nothing on the new PC to resolve it, I would prefer to get some advice on the correct direction first.

Note that on the old system I did try lots and lots of solutions listed on these forums, but it never worked for me and I don’t want to head off blindly like I did before.

Thanks in advance.

David

Hey there David!

My name is Miguel Ángel and I'm an independent advisor, also a Microsoft user just like you! I'll try to help you today with your issue.

I've been checking over the minidumps and we can't find a hint that may blame software. This error code is typical to blame the power supply.

First of all, I've seen that you reused your old power supply along with your graphics card, and it's causing issues to continue like they did in your old computer. Could you please type all your PC's build including motherboard, CPU, RAM, cooler system, power supply model, so as to check if there's compatibility issues?

Further than that and waiting for your reply, I'll recommend some solutions that usually help, before we continue diagnosing your issue.

1) SYSTEM FILES INTEGRITY CHECK

First of all, make sure all Windows Updates are installed, all drivers are updated and BIOS is updated as well, everything with the latest installation possible.

Then, we will do some system files check, and also check the hard drive, just in case. Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows + R. Type 'cmd' and press Enter.
2. In the command prompt, run the following commands:

> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
> sfc /scannow
> chkdsk /f

Third command may ask you to type Y to reset the computer. Just type Y and then press Enter. I'd recommend you to post some feedback if these commands have fixed anything or not.

2) CLEAN BOOT

Perform a clean boot following the steps given in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-t... and see if issues continue happening. Report back with some feedback!

I would as well try to run your system in Safe Mode. Generally, if issues persist in Safe Mode it's because it may be hardware related. You can find the instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sta...

Let's see if we can get to find and fix what is going on! We surely will :)

Be safe please under these rough times and have a lovely Sunday!

Miguel Ángel :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for looking at this.

System spec below.

I can send more detail if required.

Power Suppy. Corsair TX750 M.

C: Drive.

Drive Controller:                                                               NVMe (PCIe 4x 8.0 GT/s)
Host Controller:                                                                Samsung NVMe PCIe SSD Controller
Drive Model:                                                                    Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB

P: Drive. Programs
Drive Controller:                                                               Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Host Controller:                                                                AMD 500-Series Chipset - SATA Controller
Drive Model:                                                                    Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.19042 Build 19042

System Manufacturer    Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model    MS-7C94
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    To be filled by O.E.M.

Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Stock Spire Cooler.

BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 1.40, 29/10/2020
SMBIOS Version    2.8
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BIOS Mode    UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer    Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product    MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI (MS-7C94)
BaseBoard Version    1.0
Platform Role    Desktop
Secure Boot State    Off
PCR7 Configuration    Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.19041.488"

Time Zone    GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory    9.96 GB
Total Virtual Memory    20.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory    11.4 GB
Page File Space    5.00 GB

General Module Information                                                      
Module Number:                                                                  2
Module Size:                                                                    16 GBytes
Memory Type:                                                                    DDR4 SDRAM
Module Type:                                                                    Unbuffered DIMM (UDIMM)
Memory Speed:                                                                   1200.5 MHz (DDR4-2400 / PC4-19200)
Module Manufacturer:                                                            Kingston
Module Part Number:                                                             KHX3200C16D4/16GX
Module Revision:                                                                0.0
Module Serial Number:                                                           1793358475
Module Manufacturing Date:                                                      Year: 2020, Week: 22
Module Manufacturing Location:                                                  4
SDRAM Manufacturer:                                                             Kingston
DRAM Steppping:                                                                 4.3
Error Check/Correction:                                                         None

Video chipset                                                                   
Video Chipset:                                                                  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Video Chipset Codename:                                                         GP104-300
Video Memory:                                                                   8192 MBytes of GDDR5 SDRAM [Micron]
Video Card:                                                                     GIGABYTE GTX 1070 Ti Gaming (GV-N107TGAMING-8GD)
Video Bus:                                                                      PCIe v3.0 x16 (8.0 GT/s) @ x16 (8.0 GT/s)
Video RAMDAC:                                                                   Integrated RAMDAC
Video BIOS Version:                                                             86.04.8d.00.5f
Video Chipset Revision:                                                         A1

Driver Information                                                              
Driver Manufacturer:                                                            NVIDIA
Driver Description:                                                             NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Driver Provider:                                                                NVIDIA
Driver Version:                                                                 27.21.14.6089 (GeForce 460.89)
Driver Date:                                                                    11-Dec-2020
DCH/UWD Driver:                                                                 Capable
DeviceInstanceId                                                                PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B82&SUBSYS_37941458&REV_A1\4&142C1193&0&0019
Location Paths                                                                  PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0301)#PCI(0000)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to add a comment.

I can post some of the old system dmp files if needed to compare. May be a bit of a pain to do, but I can grab them if they useful for you.

They were always ntoskrnl.exe  but i never before saw the INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR message on the previous system.

Part of the probelm I've had is the issue is very random. I can boot and try in safe mode and clean boot, but then in normal mode I could also happily run for 7 days without a BSOD and then I'd get one. Has made diagnosing the issue incredibly hard and time consuming as had to wait a week or so to determine if issue had been fixed every time i tried a change.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2023 Views 1,038 Applies to: