Windows Update Error 0x8024002e...How can I fix this?

Every time I try to use Windows Update on Windows 10 I get the message.

"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8024002e)"

I've looked all around on the internet for a resolution, asked friends for help, and my older siblings that know more about this kind of stuff than I do just to find a resolution to the problem. I've had my head wrapped around this for about a week now and nothing has turned out to work. Does anyone know how to fix it? 
If so, any type of help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

Hello Selena,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue while installing Updates in Windows 10 in the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I can truly imagine the inconvenience experienced by you while installing Windows Updates. Sometimes, it gets really frustrating when things do not work correctly with the machine as we plan and expect. So, we need to detect the root cause of the issue and I would definitely help you troubleshoot in the right direction in order to get this issue fixed.

As per your aforementioned error message, the issue arise if the Windows Update package is not correctly configured or due to incomplete installation. So, I would suggest you to remove any external media connected to the computer and try to crash reboot your computer 2-3 times and check if you get through this error message.

In addition to that, I would suggest you to try the following methods if you are able to boot to the desktop and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Run inbuilt Windows update troubleshooter and check if it works. Please follow the steps given below.

1. Press Windows + W keys on your keyboard to get the search option.

2. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting.

3. Now click on view all option.

4. Click on Windows update and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

I would suggest you to manually reset the Windows Update Components. Please follow the steps in the article given below and check if it works.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Now, you may try running the Windows Updates and check if the above steps resolve the issue.

If the issue persists, follow method 3

Method 3:

How to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows 8.1 or Windows 8. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

For more Information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Regards
Jayant Gupta - Microsoft Support Engineer

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

And how exactly do I cash reboot my computer? 

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have this same error and i tried all the methods and none worked

what should i do?

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am honestly not sure :/ I tried all the methods as well but nothing worked. I would just like this resolved so that my drivers can update because my graphics are lagging when I try to play a simple game. And this only started happening after updating to Windows 10

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

From my side, in the registry, opened with "Regedit" in administrator mode; I found this:
Key: HKLM / Software / Policies / Microsoft / Windows / WindowsUpdate / DisableWindowsUdateAccess = 1
I changed: HKLM / Software / Policies / Microsoft / Windows / WindowsUpdate / DisableWindowsUdateAccess = 0
I validated by closing "Regedit"; and I was able to make updates without problems.
I watched on another computer and the key "HKLM / Software / Policies / Microsoft / Windows / WindowsUpdate" does not exist. So on the one that was the mistake I delete this key.
Since then all updates are done correctly.

If it helps others.

Best regards

313 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows update error & windows defender update definitions error, this video will help you to fix 0x8024002e: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc6GaZ9stOY

67 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Abang,

Your video really did help me to resolve issues of windows update. 

I do appreciate.

Thank you,

Iliya Yohanna,

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2024 Views 207,128 Applies to: