Windows Update Error 0x800705b4

For a couple of months now I've received error 0x800705b4 when trying to update my Windows 10 laptop (v 2004, build 19041.450) through the regular windows update method. I also can't update through other means such as BitDefender 2020 or WuInstall.

The main solution in other help threads is a Windows Defender problem where Defender isn't running during update but I have confirmed that it is on my laptop. I also tried deactivating my antivirus, Adblock etc., anything I thought might be affecting it, but no luck.

I found an older solution where the problem may lie with a registry issue and it instructed me to rebuild the windows update files in command prompt. I tried this but I can't get a lot of the commands to work. I wonder if this is linked to the problem or just unsuitable commands. Some examples:

Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"

%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

%systemroot%\system32\catroot2

I've tried the methods on the following pages with no result:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-update-error-0x800705b4/ (excluding 1, because above commands don't work, and 8)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources (above commands and others won't run in admin command prompt)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-error-0x800705b4/63eed994-cab1-48ec-a451-42cdb9dd51d3

Is there any more advice you can offer me or possible errors I made with previous methods?

Thanks,

RS
Hello RES_14,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to assist you today. I understand you have a problem with Windows updater error 0x800705b4.

Please try the suggested methods below.

**Make sure Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer services are available and running.

Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search text area, and then click services.msc in the programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
If the Startup status lists Stopped, click Start and then click OK. If the status is Running, click Restart
Double-click Windows Update.
If the Startup status lists Stopped, click Start and then click OK. If the status is Running, click Restart
Double-click Workstation.
Close the Services window and try to install updates again.

**Reset Windows Update Components using the batch file at the link below
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset...

If this doesn't work, Please try performing a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade. It will definitely help in resolving update errors. Performing this can repair broken operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings and installed applications.

**Few things to check on the PC

1. Important: Back up your personal data and files to an external hard drive, USB thumb drive.
2. Ensure you are signed in or have administrator rights to do a repair install
3. Unplug all external peripherals except for the Mouse, Keyboard, and LAN cable before starting
4. Disable or uninstall any 3rd party Anti-Virus program to prevent it from interfering with the upgrade

Kindly try to use the media creation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
Download the media creation tool(Click Download tool now) and save it to your computer.
Open the tool and select Upgrade this PC now.
Make sure to select Keep personal files and apps.
It might take some time to install Windows 10. Your computer will restart a few times, Make sure you don’t turn off your PC.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi John,

All the necessary services are running and I ran the batch file but still recieved the 0x800705b4 when I tried to update. Also there was one part of the batch script which wasn't executed sucessfully but it was too fats for me to tell which part.

I did the repair install with upgrade via the media creation tool. My laptop is now running the latest version of Windows 10 so I'm not longer so worried about security matters. But after the reinstall I checked for updates and got the 0x800705b4 error yet again. This makes me think that it is some software on my laptop that is causing the problem, something that wasn't rebuilt during the reinstall.

I have tried to update having disabled the three most likely suspects on my laptop: BitDefender antivirus, CyberGhost VPN and AdGuard ad blocker but I get the same error. Is there any known software that might be causing this issue or could something not have been fixed in the repair install?

Thanks for the help,

RES

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2024 Views 8,147 Applies to: