Screen brightness keeps changing on my surface book

The brightness keeps slightly changing depending on what's on the screen. Is there any way to turn this off? automatic brightness is turned off

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Hi Luke,

Several reasons can be the cause of this behavior. To help us identify the cause of this issue, we would like to know the following information:

• What is the exact model of your Surface Book?

• Which build and version of Windows are you currently using?

• Does this issue occur when using a particular app or program?

• Have you made any changes to your Surface before experiencing this issue?

In the meantime, we suggest that you check if you will experience this problem when running under AC and battery power.

Looking forward to your reply.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the surface book i7 512gb model using windows 10. it happens when the screen brightness is low, and is noticeable when I'm watching something in the dark. I've read that it might be something to do with intel graphics.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We apologize for the delayed response, Luke. You are correct that this issue can be caused by the power saving feature of the Intel graphics chip. This feature is called Intel Display Power Saving Technology (DPST), and it saves power by adjusting the display brightness depending on how dark or light the content on the screen is.

To disable this feature, you can download and install the latest graphics driver using the Device Manager. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on Intel's website. After installing the latest graphics driver, you will have access to Intel Graphics Settings or Intel Control Panel when you right-click on the desktop. You can disable DPST in this panel.

Please note that this will replace the recommended graphics driver on your system, and you risk introducing more problems with a driver that directly comes from Intel.

For another workaround that you can perform, you may refer to the reply of MikeBattista in the following thread: How to Disable the "Intel Display Power Saving Technology"?

This workaround involves editing your device's registry, and we only recommend doing this step for advanced users. Make sure to follow the steps carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 26, 2023 Views 44,061 Applies to: