Weird Problem On My HP G62 Notebook

Hello,
I've been having a problem with my notebook for 2 months, before i start talking about the issues, here's the specs of the notebook:

G62-340US
AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Processor P340 (2.2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
320GB (5400RPM) HDD 
6-Cell47WHr Lithium-Ion Battery
AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

(HDD = Hard Drive, By the way!)

2 months ago, i was using my notebook and all of the sudent my laptop freezes, i let it stay like that for 25 min, since it  was still freezed, i decided to turn the notebook off, so i did, when i turn it on and its booting up, my computer said that it had no hard drive, i was looking everywhere for an awnser to this, i thought that the PCB from the HDD was damaged and neded to be replaced (because i tested the HDD with other notebook's i have and it didn't seem like to respond), so i ordered an functional & working PCB for the HDD. 4 days ago the PCB arived home, for my surprise when i replaced the PCB with the new one i got, the notebook was acting the same, so i tested other HDD's with my notebook and the other HDD's worked with my notebook, there i realised that it was the HDD that was from this notebook, so i keep searching for solutions and then i notice that it was the BIOS, so i had to reset the BIOS, but when i reboot it, i was greeted with another message that goes like this:

Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. 

File: /boot/bcd
Info: an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

i was looking for the solution to this and then i found it (this error is becuase i was switching the HDD to see if it worked), so this notebook has it's own system repair, so you don't need to create or buy an repair disc, the solution was to go in the command prompt and start following these steps (click the link on the text), but then when i reach to the "bootrec /fixmbr" and "bootrec /fixboot" step, i rebooted the notebook for then to open again the command prompt, but when i press F10 for the system repair (in there you can use the command prompt), i was greeted with the same message again, it had the same file, status and info. Since i could not use the system repair from the notebook i needed to create an repair disc or have an installation disc (which my notebook didn't had an repair disc or installation disc), i had to download legally an copy of the windows 7 home premium (64-bit) installation disc and burn it to an blank disc, it took me about 7 hours to download the installation software and burn it to an disc, so i inserted the disc in the disc driver and still it shows the same message, so i go to BIOS again and put that the primary boot was the CD/DVD, i reboot my notebook and still the same thing. So i opened the HP Advanced System Diagnostic and started an Start-Up Test, and this is the test results:

Memory Test: PASSED
SMART Check: PASSED
Short DST: FAILED

FAILURED ID: RG8KGX-5B86SB-XD002K-60TW03
PRODUCT ID: XH066UA#ABA

Hard Disk 1

Start-Up Test: FAILED

I really don't want to lose my documents, pictures, files, programs and other content, i don't even know what to do at this moment, i really tried so hard to fix this notebook and ended wasting money to get an PCB and a Blank Disc which didn't solve the problem, and wasting time, all i have left is my school notebook which is only for my educational and working use, what can i do to fix this notebook, cause i don't want to buy an new notebook or PC and also i don't want to lose my documents, files and more. Can someone help me in this problem?

Thanks for reading!

Hi,

Here are three links from the HP forums all saying the Hard Drive is failing/failed with that error code

Short DST: FAILED

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/short-dst-failed/td-p/1321125

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Short-DST-Failed/td-p/1719231

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/what-is-a-short-dst-failure-and-start-up-test-failure/td-p/1134043

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Here is a link to your Notebook: HP G62-340US Notebook PC

Go to your HP's website > look for your specifications > find out brand of Hard Drive > go to Hard Drive Manufacturer's website > find and download Hard Drive Diagnostic software and make a Bootable disk from it on the Computer you are using to get here, following their instructions > test your Hard Drive to see if it has failed.

And see if these Hard Drive Tools assist you.

"7 Free Hard Drive Testing Programs "

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Saving your files:

You can pull the Hard Drive and put it in a USB Hard Drive Enclosure > plug it into another Computer > and attempt to read and copy over your Data that way.

Or, you can download Knoppix > make a Bootable disk from it > Boot into your System with it (IF your Hardware is all working) > and copy your Data from the Hard Drive that way.

http://knoppix.net/

Cheers.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hey,
i downloaded SeaTools for DOS, already burn it to a disc and still the same message:

Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. 

File: /boot/bcd
Info: an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

There's an option that lets you boot the CD/DVD and i tried but when it tries to boot it, it shows me the same message, so this means that my notebook will not boot anything (i guess cause it's been like these for days and now with this Tool it doesn't boot). The only things the notebook let me do is check the system information, system diagnostics and BIOS setup. Im starting to think that the steps i followed here: http://think-like-a-computer.com/2012/04/17/boot-bcd-0xc000000f-windows-7/ (and could not finish cause that message showed up when i was rebooting my notebook to continue the steps, to see if it worked), did something to the hard drive or so. I've tried so many things to fix my notebook but it seems that i can't fix this one, im worried that my notebook will not work.

Thanks for reading! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you read the HP Forum Thread links that I listed for you?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you read the HP Forum Thread links that I listed for you?
Yes but they say that the failure of the short dst means that my hard drive is failing, is there anyway that i could get my files and documents back? since my notebook won't boot the hard drive, cd/dvd and other bootable items.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That information was in an earlier reply of mine: here

" Saving your files:

You can pull the Hard Drive and put it in a USB Hard Drive Enclosure > plug it into another Computer > and attempt to read and copy over your Data that way.

Or, you can download Knoppix > make a Bootable disk from it > Boot into your System with it (IF your Hardware is all working) > and copy your Data from the Hard Drive that way.

http://knoppix.net/

Cheers."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 25, 2017 Views 1,460 Applies to: