Error 193 0xc1 when trying to start Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and Multimedia Class Scheduler

I am running Windows 7 Starter on a Dell Mini 10V. This morning my sound seemingly randomly stopped working after I took the battery out of the powered-down mini 10v and then placed it back in. I attempted to use services.msc to start the Windows Audio service,  but it tells me services it depends on aren't running. All services it depends on will run except Multimedia Class Scheduler and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.

There is a red X over the speaker icon in the bottom right system tray, and it claims there are no audio devices installed and that the audio service isn't running.

I am looking for help fixing this. I ran sfc /scannow, and it told me some files are corrupted but I cannot decipher the output log. I do not have an optical drive because this is a netbook, and I can guarantee I don't have any programs running on this computer that could have disabled the sound because I have the same programs on all of my computers.

Has anyone seen a problem similar to this? I ran system restore, but it did not fix the problem. There was only one restore point for this morning, and I think it was created after the problem. It claims there was a "critical install" or "critical update" to my high def audio device which I had nothing to do with. Please only respond if you have truly helpful insight. Thank you in advance!
Answer
Answer

Hi casuallyewing,

Welcome to Microsoft answers!

Generally the error message means that the service manager couldn't find the exact .exe path to run the service. Sometimes, the service is installed from a directory with multiple words for the directory name. So the registry path to the service needs to be placed with double quotes.

Click ‘Start’ and type ‘services.msc’ and hit Enter

Check for the multimedia class scheduler and audio endpoint builder service.
Check for the path under "path to executable:" for both the services. Make a note of the same.
Also make a note of the service name for both the services.

The services are as follows:

AudioEndpointBuilder - AudioEndpointBuilder
Multimedia Class Scheduler - MMCSS

Now, let’s check if the paths under these two services are the same as well in the registry.

Click ‘Start’, type regedit and hit Enter

Locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\

Under services, check for these services: MMCSS and AudioEndpointBuilder.

Corresponding to the above two services, the Image path (on the right pane) should be same as the path in ‘services.msc’

Let us know if the path matches for further troubleshooting.

Regards,
Gokul - Microsoft Support

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2024 Views 42,065 Applies to: