Unable to reinstall Avira antivirus software after removing corrupted program

Program would not fully update.  When proceeding to update at around 60% or thereabouts would see : "Updating -2147483648%"

This went on for several weeks with no real slow down in this computer's performance but never updating the anti virus files either.  Then after uninstalling the program and trying unsuccessfully to reinstall it I've reached the point realizing I need some serious help from someone who is much more clever than I am regarding computer software and this computer's registry.   When trying to reinstall the Avira software would see the following and do so still when computer is turned on:  "The file list contains unreachable files: rscdwld.exe (Error code 9)  

Hi, HalPope

You should first repair Windows. Check this link, I hope it helps, it is to run (Scannow and Dism) that are used to repair Windows system files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833...

Then try to install Avira again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, HalPope

You should first repair Windows. Check this link, I hope it helps, it is to run (Scannow and Dism) that are used to repair Windows system files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833...

Then try to install Avira again.

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for help and guidance.  Was able to run both scans (something I knew of but had never tried myself) and happy to report this computer is running better and now have the printer working with it as well.  Still seeing: "The file list contains unreachable files: rscdwld.exe (Error code 9) and unable to get the anti virus program to install. 

Do you think I've picked up a nasty on the HDD  along the way?  Any help you can offer is very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Best,

Hal Pope

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Hi Phillip,

I downloaded and installed "Your Uninstaller! 7" to this computer.  Then uninstalled Avira anti virus Pro that had been downloaded but not installed yesterday.  Then proceeded to the Avira site to download and install again today.  The installation started and ran for a couple of minutes and then

"The file list contains unreachable files: rscdwld.exe (Error code 9)"  rears its ugly head again!! 

Feel like we made progress cause the aforementioned uninstall program works well but there is something else going on that needs to be dealt with before we pour the champagne.  Thanks for any help you can send my way and for all that you have already done.

Cheers,

Hal Pope

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should try to download an older version of Avira and then update it.

Check this link, I hope it helps.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/avira-antivir/

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should try to download an older version of Avira and then update it.

Check this link, I hope it helps.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/avira-antivir/

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Hi Phillip,

I perused oldversion.com for Avira anti virus and found plenty.  However those available are quite old and will not run on Win 10.  For example the one I selected 13.0.0.2761 (11/13/12) was not allowed to run by Windows.  Very interesting site but not what I need if I stay with Avira. 

Regards,

Halpope    

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What I can recommend is that you repair Windows completely, before you should backup your files. Check this link, I hope it helps.

https://www.intowindows.com/repair-windows-10-i...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What I can recommend is that you repair Windows completely, before you should backup your files. Check this link, I hope it helps.

https://www.intowindows.com/repair-windows-10-i...

Hi Phillip,

Want to fill you in and thank you and my guardian angel(s) at Microsoft for your help and support this past week.  Finally this computer is once again able to run and update correctly the Avira anti virus software and connect wirelessly with its printer.

After trying unsuccessfully to download an ISO file of Win 10  - three to four times - in order to reinstall it on this computer all was shut down.

The next day a pop up, most likely from Microsoft, asked did I want to reinstall Windows. Well you know the answer and from that moment on everything worked as intended and expected.  Yesterday was spent reloading Avira, Office 365 and other software lost during the Windows reinstallation process.   Thank you.

Best regards,

Hal Pope 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2023 Views 824 Applies to: