System Restore fails with error code 0x8007045b

Windows 10 Pro, build 15063. Multiple attempts to restore from different restore points results in same error code 0x8007045b.

System restore from Windows RE results in error code 0x80070026. There are no encrypted files to my knowledge (checked with cipher /u /n/ h). Manually created a restore point and that failed as per the above image. 

Any ideas? 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

This has been a known issue even on earlier Windows version. To resolve your concern, check this support article: System Restore may fail with error code 0x8007045b if there is encrypted content in the restore point. The said article contains steps and further discussion on the cause of the issue and how to resolve it as well. Please take note that the article doesn’t state that it’s applicable to Windows 10 but since the workaround is performed on the command prompt, you should be able to perform this still to address your concern.

If you have other queries, feel free to ask us.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My original post mentioned that I had tried RE, in fact the exact post you refer me to. The result was a fail with error 0x80070026.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the information. If the initial troubleshooting to resolve this issue has already been performed, we suggest checking the Volume shadow copy service in services window. You may do so by following these steps:

1. On Cortana, type services.msc then hit Enter.
  2. On the new window that appears, look for Volume shadow copy. (Note: Startup Type should be Automatic)

If in any case, Startup Type is set to Manual, follow these steps to set it to Automatic:

1. Right-click on Volume shadow copy.
  2. If the service is stopped, start the service.
  3. Select Properties.
  4. On Startup type, choose Automatic.
  5. Click Apply, then OK.

Don’t hesitate to give us updates on your query.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.

I followed this procedure and the Volume Shadow Copy service was indeed set to manual and stopped so I started it up and set to Automatic. Tried the systems restore again, got the same error. Tried the system restore from the Windows RE and got the 0x80070026 error again.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If that does not resolve the issue, let’s try to check for any issues that could be causing the error. We suggest performing an SFC scan on the device. SFC allows a user to scan for any corruptions and restore broken files in the process.

We’ll be waiting for any updates on this query.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm dealing with the same issue on the fall creators update. I am not using an EFI filesystem or any sort of file encryption. I do know that the Windows Store Apps have special security, so I am wondering if this special security might include any sort
of encryption that is out of the users control. I am getting the exact same error messages. SFC and DISM report no corruption. SFC reports no disk errors.

[update] I ran the same cipher command that the OP used, and the only encrypted files were for windows apps that got installed to a drive other than C:\

the apps involevd were:

blink cliplets

autodesk pixlr

hungry shark evolution

fallout shelter

I did not encrypt the files or tell windows to. but I'm betting these files are the cause

here is a listing of the files, 100% of them are windows store apps. I don't know if they are encrypted as some sort of protection or something, but I did not encrypt them.

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AouWDY3RtbYPgYw6OHXKv3uNAEHudA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Based on the details that have shared on your post, it seems that you have already identified why the error occurs when you are attempting to perform a System Restore. Having said that, we would like to verify if you have tried the initial troubleshooting steps suggested in this article: System Restore may fail with error code 0x8007045b if there is encrypted content in the restore point. Kindly advise us if the solution works or if you have also encountered a different error code so we can provide additional help. 

We'll wait for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is exactly the same issue I am currently experiencing for System Restore except, I don't have any of those apps you mentioned install. I'm not sure what to do next since I have followed all of steps the Microsoft representative has mention and still problems persists. Do you know any other options I can do and, did you resolved the problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think at this point we need to focus on why there are encrypted windows store app files, when there should be NO encryption in the system. %program files%\windowsapps is a windows protected directory not able to be normally accessed by the user. how do I go about removing the encryption? I moved the apps back to the c:\ drive, but i am unable to unencrypt them. I tried running the command 'cipher /d /h /s:"c:\program files\windowsapps" ' but i got an error saying file could not be decrypted.

as a last resort, if I uninstall affected apps, and then reinstall them, should this reset any erncrypted file status to being unencrypted?

Decrypting files in c:\program files\windowsapps\BethesdaSoftworks.FalloutShelter_1.13.52.2_x64__3275kfvn8vcwc\
Bridge.winmd        [ERR]
Bridge.winmd: The specified file could not be decrypted.
0 file(s) [or directorie(s)] within 427 directorie(s) were decrypted.

I should probably take the time to note, that the apps involved all still work, which kinda rules out any sort of malicious encryption actions like ransomware or the like, IMHO. because the files reside in a protected directory, it makes me think the files got installed in a encrypted state.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i just went and physically removed the encypted files after uninstalling the apps. when windows store to reinstall the app, in this case 'Fallout shelter" the encrypted files were put back onto the drive. I believe my assumption is correct about the encryption being done by the dev or windows store. since this is the case why is system restore throwing a fit because of something that is not encrypted by me, but by either M$ or the devs. it looks like the encryption is supposd to be there, why does windows have a problem with it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2024 Views 9,189 Applies to: