Start Menu stopped working Windows 10 1909

The start menu has stopped working, when I click on the start button it makes the search box disappear and the menu doesn't open. Restarting my computer fixes it for a little bit but then goes back to not working again.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello, 

Try to re-register Start Menu using these steps: 

1. Open Task Manager, click File > Run new task. 

2. Type powershell in the Create new task box. Check the option 'Create this task with administrative privileges'. Click OK. 

3. In the administrative Windows PowerShell window, type/paste following and press Enter key: 

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)} 

4. Let it complete and then restart your system. 

Reference: https://www.kapilarya.com/re-register-start-menu-windows-10

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This solution did not correct the problem.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. Update was applied on a fully update 1809 Enterprise x64 as a test PC. This update is gonna deployed by WSUS and in another domain by SCCM to over 500 PCs; it would be great to hear if other businesses have the same problem...

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone found a fix for this?  I just had several of my computers do this when they got 1909 a week or so ago.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We have had many clients with this issue, I have found a fix!. (You should already have been updated to 1909)

You will need to install the following update - 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)

To do this go into Windows Update in Settings and click on search for updates, it should then find the update and install it. You will then need to do a restart and your Start Menu should be working. 

If Windows Update is unable to find the Update, use this link to Manually install the update - https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4528760

Hope this helps!

Tom

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We have had many clients with this issue, I have found a fix!. (You should already have been updated to 1909)

You will need to install the following update - 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)

To do this go into Windows Update in Settings and click on search for updates, it should then find the update and install it. You will then need to do a restart and your Start Menu should be working. 

If Windows Update is unable to find the Update, use this link to Manually install the update - https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4528760

Hope this helps!

Tom

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tom,

I attempted the update and installer claims I have this update and nothing has been fixed. No menu or search window. What next?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You will need to install the following update - 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)

Hope this helps!

Tom

This is definitely the fix.  Microsoft finally released a fix for what got broke in a prior update.  After trying a half dozen other "fixes", this is the one that corrected the issue.  This is all you need.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tom,

I attempted the update and installer claims I have this update and nothing has been fixed. No menu or search window. What next?

JtWhite1, if the Windows update doesn't fix your problem, try this:

https://www.itechguides.com/windows-10-start-menu-not-working/

I have found that one of these should correct the start menu problem.  Be sure to run the fixes when logged on as an admin.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

You may need to uninstall the update and then install it, I have not came across this as each time the user does not have the update installed on their device.

Let me know how you get on!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 24, 2021 Views 24,320 Applies to: