Blackscreen and wsappx issues

Good evening, for the last couple of days I have been dealing with an issue without finding a solution. Therefore I have turned to this forum to find some help. 

The issue:

A couple of days ago I was getting issues with a black screen with a cursor immediately after signin in. Sometimes it would get stuck and sometimes it wouldn't. At first I thought the issue was only with my main user, but also other accounts on my PC were having it. Also I am not able to open any windows store apps such as the windows store itself or the mail client. Some applicates do launch (calculator, alarms and clocks). The issue isn't present on any non-windows store applications. 

For the blackscreen with cursor issue I have found a solution, because sometimes it would get to my desktop I was able to change my settings. I turned off "AppReadiness" in the Services window. The issue with certain applications seems to be with the wsappx programme. It is continiously running at 25-30% CPU, while also using some memory (40MB average) and writing something, though very little, to my hard drive (0.2mb/s). I have tried running extensive virus scans from different programmes but it wouldn't find anything. I have also tried disabling certain apps but nothing works. Also I updated all of my drivers and checked for updates.

I am thinking that a possibility could be that the launching of one specific application could be blocking the wsappx progress, this is because if the wsappx process is extended it says "AppX Deployment Service". This could explain why some windows store apps do work, and others don't. 

Thank you all in advance for your time and assistance, with kind regards, Sjoerd

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Microsoft Store

Hi Sjoerd,

Black screen error has many symptoms. Examples are: when you recently updated your computer, there are changes that are still applying during the boot process, and you are in the process of installing a software. To have a better grip on this black screen issue, we’d like to know the following:

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
  • What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
  • Do you have other anti-virus programs installed on your computer? If yes, can you temporarily turn them off and enable Windows Defender only?
  • What is the edition of Windows operating system installed when you bought this computer?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
  • Did you receive any error messages? If yes, can you send us a photo?
  • How much free space do you have on your hard disk?

In addition, you can visit this link: Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors to start troubleshooting this black screen issue.

To troubleshoot apps that causes issues, we recommend rebooting your computer in Safe Mode to return Windows 10 to a basic state. It can help you to allow troubleshooting most issues on your computer. To start your in Safe Mode, visit this link: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10 and look for steps under the “From the sign-in screen” section.

When you successfully performed a Safe Mode, your next step is to clear the bad apps that causes issues listed on your System Configuration. This method is called Clean Boot. Visit this link: How to perform a clean boot in Windows

to know how to do this.

You can watch this video to know how to perform Clean Boot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYJfK4hpQM

Get back to us once you provide us additional details or need more help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Alright thank you for your response, I'll go over your additional questions one by one, along with a little update.

1. Microsoft account

2. I didn't make any changes to the system in the days prior to the issues, a rollback to a previous state in which everything still worked didn't solve the issue either.

3. Already did this

4. Windows 10, I didn't buy my computer at a manufacturer, but I bought the parts and assembeled the system myself instead, just over two years ago. 

5. I have booted in in safe mode, disabled the microsoft store, tried uninstalling some of the not working default apps using the Windows PowerShell, blocked "AppReadiness", this fixed the blackscreen issue or rather, bypassed it, but doesnt solve the issue with certain windows apps such as mail not launching and wsappx still using 30% of the CPU even while idle. Also I tried logging in on a different user on my PC, and that account didnt have the same issue.

6. No error messages whatsoever

7. My SSD (boot drive) has 72.4GB available of 232, my HDD (storage drive) has 454gb available of 931, and my external hard drive which is always attached and partitioned in two has respectively 186GB/186 and 558GB/745 available, plenty of space it appears to me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We would like to inform you that if you use your Microsoft account as your log-in credentials, it will require an Internet connection and will take a while to load since it will verify your username and password before you can land into the desktop environment.

Unlike local accounts, it is easier to log in since it is a user profile that was saved on your computer and it will load and read it immediately. When switching accounts, it will take time too because it will sign out the previous account first.

In this situation, we suggest that you use your local account on your computer for faster login and to avoid being stuck at a black screen. In order to create or add another user profile, you will need to use the local Administrator account instead of an online Microsoft account.

There’s a great thread on this link: Microsoft account and a Local account on Windows 10 about their differences and advantages. Look for the post created by Techie007L with mark as answer so you will have an idea to determine which type of account that will be comfortable for you.

Just for confirmation, have you already performed a Clean Boot?

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no problems to login into local accounts on my PC, but the account linked to Microsoft causing problems like described above. After many attempts and waiting, I finally logged in. The problem is that I deleted some crucial Window apps like Maps and others, 'wsappx' is looking for those but cannot find them and that is why it stalls. I went to Windows Store to download those again, it loads and trys to install but does not go through. It does not solves the problem but points to the problem with this. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to reinstall Windows, it says ‘something something ... conflict’ and it kicks you back to original version, (and it would be so painful to reinstall all software). Here what I’ve done and it works.

You need to create new admin account, copy-paste all your files to new account, link all programs. Then log out from old admin account, log in to new one and delete old admin account (all personal files will be deleted from old account, make sure you saved everything to new account).

If you have other user-accounts, you need to create new duplicate accounts. Same thing (but not admin) – copy, paste, link. Then delete old one. You have to replace all accounts like this.

I replaced 3 user accounts on my computer and everything works now as before.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What a mess of a nightmare... Why ahlush we constantly be forced to troubleshoot like IT professionals each and every update or is this only applicable to ththo who unfortunately own HPs? Bios, firmware, drivers, adaptors, sfc and corrupted files unable to be repaired, bsod, random hangs... If only ms paid me for all the lost hours at work since I'm a remote employee... I'd be able to go on vacation long enough to troubleshoot my pc and possibly regain some sanity ! 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2023 Views 2,523 Applies to: