Audio Service issue

My PC stopped outputting audio, it said the Windows audio service was not working. I stopped the process in the services app, restarted it, made sure it was set to automatic start, did the same with the companion audio service and dependancies. I updated all device drivers. I haven't touched any hardware, everything is connected as it was yesterday when everything was working fine. I tried a wireless USB headset with a USB dongle to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue with the rear Io. I tried plugging the speakers into the front panel audio. I tried running 2 different administrator command prompts in the shell that verified members on this site had used to fix audio service issues. I tried Windows update and it got stuck on "download pending" despite the fact I was able to surf the web. I restarted the Windows update service and its companion services. I tried changing the time when updates were downloaded, which continually crashed the settings app. Windows troubleshoter is no help. I have tried every fix I found online from basic to the type of fixes no end user should have to try, to no avail. Discm did nothing. I wasted so much time. I'm not the only one reporting this issue, I saw another thread from 2 hours ago. I can't use my computer for anything with audio despite the devices being acknowledged, the master volume being up etc. And I can't even get the pending updates. The settings app in an OS shouldn't be crashing. But I can launch and play every app, surf the web, play games, watch videos, but no sound and no ability to update or make changes to the update schedule. Sorry for the long rant, but it was a frustrating afternoon. Just need to make it known that there are some new bugs out there. Anything I haven't tried feel free to suggest, thanks.

Answer
Answer
Hello A,

Great, I am happy that worked. If you don't have any more questions, feel free to choose a rating. Stay safe and have a great day!

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hello A L P OS T R O P H E,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I want to apologize if you encountered this issue. I understand you have a problem with audio won't work after the last Windows update.

You may try to check the below article to fix your Sound Issues.
Fix sound problems in Windows 10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/452028...

If an update caused this, You may try to consider uninstalling the recent Windows updates manually.

Please refer to this article regarding the methods to uninstall updates manually
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft...

If it doesn't work, Please try to Perform a System Restore on an earlier date which the audio was still working properly.

Press Start
Search for Create a restore point, and click the top result to open the System Properties experience.
Click the System Restore button.
Choose a different restore point. Click the Next button.
Select the restore point that you want to use on your computer. You can check the box "Show more restore points"
Click Next then Finish

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 8, 2024 Views 527 Applies to: