Windows 10 Creators Update BSOD kernel crash - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

After applying the Windows 10 Creators Update, the kernel started crashing with BSOD very consistently after performing certain UI actions in our Eclipse SWT desktop application.  I want to stress "very consistently" because the same crash happens in various hardware and driver configurations, new Dell laptops, old desktops, even Windows 10 virtual machines.  We have not found a setup where the kernel from Windows 10 Creators Update does not crash.  For now, we've had to tell all our users to downgrade Windows 10, uninstalling the Creators Update.  We are hoping for a fix and possible workaround in the interim.  Making sure all drivers are up-to-date from the Widows Device Manager has not seemed to affect the crash (it didn't help/hurt).

The minidumps we've captured show the crash address "ntoskrnl.exe+16bf70" or "ntoskrnl.exe+16bfd0".  However, after applying kb4016871 we now see the crash address "ntoskrnl.exe+16c310":

minidump

screenshot

We have also had users report BSOD with different stop codes.  I have no detail or reproduction for these, not sure if these are even the same issue as we've only been able to consistently reproduce is UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP in ntoskrnl.exe I described above, but want to mention them just in case:

INTERRUPT EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

MEMORY MANAGEMENT

SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION - win32kbase.sys

PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

Answer
Answer

We heard back from our contact at Microsoft.  We were told they are currently doing internal testing of a fix and are targeting it for the last week in June.

KB4022716 now showing up on Windows Update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4022716/windows-10-update-kb4022716

One of the many fixes:

Addressed issue (Error 0x7F) with Windows Forms (WinForms) that causes the system to crash after upgrading to the Creators Update

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I applied kb4022716 to a couple different hosts where I was originally seeing the BSOD.  I also did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a VM with all updates applied.  I retested in those environments and can not get the BSOD to happen anymore.  I tested with my Eclipse-based application.  I also tried the powershell script mentioned earlier in this thread, the one also mentioned on stackoverflow, and do not get the crash.  Using 49 nested panels is fine with no crash happening when moving the mouse cursor over the form.  When I increase the number of nested panels to 50 then I get an error dialog with a stack trace which is expected when hitting the default handles limit:

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Error creating window handle.
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(CreateParams cp)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

So, the BSOD is resolved by this latest cumulative update as far as I am able to test.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 6,028 Applies to: