Error Code 0xc00d36c4 in playing mp4 files

I have a few movies I ripped from DVDs I purchased a while ago. I am trying to transfer them to a USB device so I can play them in a couple player I have around my house (IE roku, and I have a sony version of roku as well) but the problem is once the file is on the USB It wont play anymore and gives me the error code 0xc00d36c4.  However it is only some of the files I try to transfer to the USB, some work some dont. Their all mp4 files no different from another... They all play just fine from my hard drive though. The USB question is about 900gb and is in NTFS format. They default play with Movies&TV but I have tried that, windows media player, Photos, and even VLC media player. Any ideas how I can get them to work?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing and will certainly help you in the right direction to fix the issue. However, I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions to narrow down the issue in order to provide you with better assistance.

1. Did you make any significant changes prior to the issue?

2. Is this issue occur while playing another extension of video files?

I understand that you are facing issues with playing mp4 video files on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. The issue could occur if the video file is unsupported by the media player.

• Convert the file to a supported format. For example, convert the file to WMA, WMV, or MP3 format and check if the issue occurs or not. 
  • If you are using Windows media player, I would suggest you to try the methods mentioned below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Run Windows Media Player troubleshooter.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar and open it.
     2. Click on view all in the left pane
     3. Run the windows media player troubleshooter and follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2:

Try turning WMP on and off from the Media features and check if the issue is reoccur.

1.Press Windows key + X.
    2.Click Programs and Features.
    3.Click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    4.Expand Media Features.
    5.Clear the box for Windows Media Player.
    6.Click Yes on the warning message.
    7.Reboot your system.
    8.Repeat steps 1 to 4.
    9.Check mark the box for Windows Media Player.
    10.Click Yes on the warning message.
    11.Reboot your system.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

• Ramesh Kumar.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried converting a couple of the files to both WMV and AVI to no avail, basically the conversion just messed up the movie file so it was only 5 minutes of one screen and stuff.

None of my MP4 files however ever did run from WMP I had to 'open with' to get to run in it.

I'm pretty sure this is a problem with my flash drive not the files. As I said before they all run just fine from my computer every time, even if I move them from my main HD to my back up their just fine.

However it seems that after I load so many on the flash drive anything after 7 or 8 gbs wont play. The thumbnail is no longer of the movie and even if I move the file back over to my hard drive it is still corrupted.

Thank you for all your help!

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update on the issue.

If you think the issue is with the USB device then the issue may arise if the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt or if your PC requires an update for issues that may conflict with a USB device and Windows. This may also occur if your USB controllers may have become unstable or corrupt. So, I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Remove and reinstall all USB controllers.

1. Open Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X and select device manager from the list. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. In the list of hardware categories, find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    3. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
    4. Restart the computer, and let the USB controllers get reinstalled.
    5. Plug in the removable USB device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Method 2

The issue could be if the drivers are not updated or get corrupted. So, try to install all of the Windows updates available and if issue persists, try to update the Display drivers by following the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

If issue still persists, then install the drivers for Windows 8/8.1 from the manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check if that works.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Reference:  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-81&v1h=win81tab5&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 57,107 Applies to: