Sony Optiarc AD-7580 compatible or not that seems to be the question.

In the Windows  compatibility centre there about are 79 Sony devices listed as being compatible with Windows. One of which is the Sony Optiarc AD-7580A DVD Burner.

In my ACER 7551 laptop I have an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7580S-S2. When I ran the compatibility check I did not get oops your DVD device is not compatible so I went ahead and upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

After doing that the DVD device is listed as an unknown device so it does not work anymore and it is not shown as a drive in explorer.

The device according to Sony is a regular ATAPI device that does not need a driver, because it is natively supported by Windows. That is true up to 8.1 but apparently not true for the greatest Windows ever. Bummer.

So my question is what do I need to do to get the drive to work again if anything.

My other question is when will this device be added to the list that Windows 10 recognizes. It seems a bit strange that older Sony models are supported but not this one.

Every now and again I get a message from Windows that I need to complete installing the software for the device.  What can I say….

Let me know thanks.

Answer
Answer

OK, you should be able to install the AMD SATA driver manually as there appears to be a matching Hardware ID in the amd_sata.inf

In the Device Manager right-click the "Standaard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA-controller" > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software

In the "Search for driver software in this location" type the path or "Browse" to the location of the unzipped driver folder

Make sure "Include subfolders" is "checked"

Then click "Next".

is a new driver installed?

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 18, 2024 Views 16,639 Applies to: