Permission denied and Files missing after changing location of My Photos to a SSD

Hi.

This morning I tried to change the location of My Photos under

C:\users\myself\My Photos

to a new SSD drive. I have done the same last night to My Music, My Documents, My Videos and it worked.

1. I right click on the My Photos folder, "Properties"
  2. "Location", "change location"
  3. Select the new folder
  4. Prompt: Are you sure you want to move all the files...? Confirm

But, after that, nothing happens. I cannot see progress bar, nothing. 

When I try to enter the old My Photos, "Permission denied". And the new folder contains nothing.

So I change in the registry the location mapping, and restarted. Now I can enter the old folder, but, nothing is there! I lost all my photos!!

What can I do now? I am scanning the whole disk to see if there are there, but I don't know if I can recover them...... Nothing in trash bin.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Thanks Chris, I was aware of that but just to be sure if there are other solutions....

After that I tried to reset the location of My Photos' location, and now there is no such "C:\users\myuser\pictures" folder, and I am totally lost. Will that affect the location to scan in my recovery process? I mean, if the photos are lost, what should be the location to scan in my disk? C:\, C:\users, C:\users\myuser\My Pictures? I don't see anything in the last scanning with Easy Recovery.....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

As the previous location was C: drive, so I advise you to run data recovery software and search your lost photos in C: drive only.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks..... although this cannot really solve my problem, Recuva is free and helped me in the recovery of a small portion of the photos.....

Anyone who reads this post now, bear in mind that:

• DO NOT, NEVER, EVER, USE "change location of My Documents/My Music/My Photos/My Videos" when you have used your PC for some time and have crucial data in these locations!!! This operations may do irreversible damage to your data!!! And since they are in the C:\ drive, any further use of your Windows may overwrite the disk partition and you lose your data!!!

• If in any case, you HAVE TO move them, please bear in mind the previous risk, and do a simple copy/paste instead of this BUGGY operation!!! In my case, I began to use my computer and had done 10+ times of reinstalling my Windows(since Win2K) and the simple copy/paste had never failed me even once. But today, I lost bunch of invaluable data due to "change location" process. Don't make the mistake like me!

• The best time to do it, is the first time you use your brand new system. Apart from "My Documents/..." folders, you can also do the same to

C:\Users\myuser\AppData

You create a system junction(or a directory link) of this folder in another partition and it is done. (mklink /d ...)

• Better yet, is to DIVIDE YOUR 1TB HDD/SDD INTO PARTITIONS at the beginning!!! If I had one partition for Win10 of 100GB, another for My xxx files and AppData(another 100GB), another for games, another for applications(anothe 200GB).... I would not be moving the files to another location in the first place, because the system disk image would be small enough to fit in the 500GB new SSD. It would also do great good to your backup process; you create Recovery point for the OS, backup the data every day, games and applications every week, etc. And for the reinstalling, too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

• DO NOT, NEVER, EVER, USE "change location of My Documents/My Music/My Photos/My Videos" when you have used your PC for some time and have crucial data in these locations!!! This operations may do irreversible damage to your data!!! And since they are in the C:\ drive, any further use of your Windows may overwrite the disk partition and you lose your data!!!

I am doing this routinely on my clients' PCs. When done properly, it works exactly as designed.

There is another far more important point that you do not mention. The iron rule of data storage says that important or irreplaceable files must at all times be stored on two separate media. No exceptions! If the user makes a mistake (which we all do), e.g. when moving folders from one location to another, recovery is dead easy. It appears that you are not aware of this rule. A 500 GByte hard disk in a USB case would be an ideal backup medium and it costs less than $50.00.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am doing this routinely on my clients' PCs. When done properly, it works exactly as designed.

There is another far more important point that you do not mention. The iron rule of data storage says that important or irreplaceable files must at all times be stored on two separate media. No exceptions! If the user makes a mistake (which we all do), e.g. when moving folders from one location to another, recovery is dead easy. It appears that you are not aware of this rule. A 500 GByte hard disk in a USB case would be an ideal backup medium and it costs less than $50.00.

Yes, now I have learned my lesson, in the hard way. 10+ years using Windows and never lost so much data.

I must keep a good copy of my personal photos from now on. Thanks for the advice. 

I think maybe `robocopy` can do it better when I login in with another user. Is that true? 

Although you suggest you have done it multiple times, in my case it fails at 3rd try. Better keep a copy.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2023 Views 647 Applies to: