New build 10565 allows activating Upgrade directly with Windows 7/8/8.1 key

From Insider Hub announcement today: 

Device activation improvements: We have received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup. For more information on these activation improvements including requirements – see this post in the Insider Hub.

I asked in MVP Communications channel of the Windows 10 team if there is any way for consumers to avail themselves of this feature without waiting for the build's public release. 

Response is that if you have presently a Windows 10 Upgrade that fails to activate, you can opt-in to Insider Builds, upgrade to build 10565, then insert Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Product key in Activation Settings, or after reboot it should pick up an embedded Windows 8.1 Product Key on Factory OEM.  

To opt-in to Insider builds, go to  Settings>Updates & Security>Update>Advanced Options>Get Insider Builds, select Get Started:

Since then we've learned that one can Clean Install Windows 10 directly using Build 10565 creating the media from the Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO, then directly activate at Settings>Update & Security>Activation with Product Key from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, if necessary restart to autodetect embedded key for Factory Installed 8 or 8.1 

Reports coming in the past few days confirm that this works and that from Build 10565 you can even Go Back to Windows 10 in the Advanced Windows Update settings from a link below the greyed-out button to Opt-Out of Insider Builds.  This returns you to the Windows 10 release version with activation intact.  We're waiting to see if in every case this requires Saving Nothing, but remember that a Clean Install is always the best install.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated!  And special thanks to the consumer-friendly Windows 10 Team for valuing the vastly superior Clean Install in this way, and by previously allowing a Reset Saving Nothing to automate a Clean Reinstall of bloated factory pre-installed Windows 10!

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Also thinking someone that has performed an authorized upgrade and had problems

with activation might be able to use this method.

Rob - SpiritX

Rob Brown - past Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider MVP 2016 - 2021
Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT 2009 - 2020

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What if you don't want to be in the Insiders program and not be a beta tester? Is there a ways to opt out after activation?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What if you don't want to be in the Insiders program and not be a beta tester? Is there a ways to opt out after activation?

See update in post at top. 

This report just came in from Change Win 7 Home 32 bit to 64 bit before upgrading to Win 10 - Microsoft Community :

"When I went to the Update & Security/Windows Update/Advanced Options, the Insiders Build box was already selected and grayed out, so it couldn't be de-selected. Underneath was a link saying something like "How can I opt out of Insiders Build". That link takes you to a screen that explains that you have to reinstall a regular version of Windows, then offers hyperlinks to Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. It never required a disc be inserted into the drive and downloaded the online upgrade that I selected. There wasn't a choice of which version of Windows 10 or whether I wanted 32 or 64-bit. There was a screen that informed me that clean install was my only option. Once the install began, there was a brief black boot type screen that seemed to offer a choice of Windows 7 or 10, but I just caught a quick glimpse and can't say how long it was up. Seemed to be just a second or two. After that, the install progressed as normal. There wasn't a screen to enter the product key and the final result is a registered version of  Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.

Like you mentioned, this does appear to be a viable workaround for a clean install while using your original key."

Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hey Greg,

I suggest you to apply for a wiki author post.

You have excellent technical+Writing skills.

Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Sumit!

I have my training at noon tomorrow.  I already have a several different drafts ready as well as  tutorials I'm transferring over from my old forums home. 

Clean Install Windows 10

Windows 10 Upgrade Performance Troubleshooting - Basics - Microsoft Community

Clean Reinstall Windows 7

Please keep the feedback coming.  I really appreciate technical and editing suggestions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

build 10565 will not activate with dell oem win 7 key, just says this key will not work with this version of windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you sure you're installing the matching version Home or Pro?  Most Factory OEM is Windows Home version.  Check again by right clicking Start Button to open System that you are using Home.

If so then the only reason it should not activate is if you are inputting an incorrect key which happens frequently.  To avoid this use a bright light and magnifying glass, or take a phone pic and blow it up big to triple-check each character you input.  Some characters look alike.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated June 7, 2020 Views 2,250 Applies to: