Dell Alienware Aurora-R3 & Windows 10 Build 1709 (Fall Creators Edition)

I was able to upgrade my Dell Alienware Aurora-R3 to Windows 10 (by shutting down everytime a forced restart occcured during the upgrade), but I have not had any success with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709) (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-fall-creators-update).  I am now at version 1703.  Has anyone found a way to install version 1709?  

My computer locks up whenever I do the install, and ultimately reverts to the prior version.

I have no need for a new computer other than because my current computer won't upgrade, but I'm concerned that I am inviting security problems if I do not upgrade.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

One possible reason for not being able to install Version 1709 is you may need to get the compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1709. There are certain steps that we can do to get this update. Kindly follow the methods provided on this link and see if this will resolve your concern.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't see a "compatibility update" on that link.  In fact, it says 'There are no prerequisites for installing this update."  What am I missing?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Have you checked the manufacturers website to determine compatibility?

Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709

perform the following tasks:

12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1709)

If the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant becomes stuck or unresponsive at various percentages: 0%, 32%, 62%, 87%, 99%, please wait at least 4 to 7 hours. If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 99% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.

If setup does not progress, close the wizard then restart your computer. Follow the instructions to upgrade manually using the Media Creation Tool or the Windows 10 ISO file.

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Update version 1709 using ISO File from Versions 1507, 1511, 1607 and 1703 

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I said in my question, the make and model of my PC is Dell Alienware Aurora-R3.  That computer is NOT Windows 10 compatible, but may users have learned that the main problem is that the computer freezes when the computer reboots during the windows 10 installation, and this can be avoided by simply shutting down whenever the computer starts to restart.  I had no problem running Windows 10 until version 1709 came along.  I was hoping someone who also had a Dell Alienware Aurora-R3 had come up with a work-around.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Change of facts:  I tried to upgrade yet again today.  As before, I shut down the computer every time it tried to restart (which was many times).  This time it worked!  Microsoft must have made some change to Windows 10 Build 1709 (Fall Creators Edition).  So if anyone else was despairing, try again.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

I have the same model of PC and thus an identical problem. I have also successfully been using the same workaround, i.e. shutting down the computer in order to avoid the freeze, for all updates up until 1709. This update is different since it is persistent and forces itself on the user. The really bad news is that it can actually fail to roll-back and I have already had to make a complete re-install of Windows. Unfortunately with loss of data since the disc somewhere along the Windows up-date path has been converted to an MBR partition table and must be wiped before it is back-converted to GPT, so that the Windows CD can be used to re-install.

One error that keeps popping up is 0x80070652, i.e. meaning that a previous installation has not been completed successfully.  This is usually fixed by a re-boot, but this one just won't let go.

The Windows Update Troubleshooting tool keeps detecting the same problems:

- Service registration is missing or corrupt

- Potential Windows Update Database error detected

- Windows Update components must be rapaired

It is applying fixes (claiming success), but to no avail since the same errors re-appear next time. 

If I remember correctly, the USB 3.0 socket (which is no longer supported by DELL) is main reason why the Dell Alienware Aurora-R3 isn't Win10 compliant. I will try to (physically) disconnect it from the motherboard and see what happens.

However, please advise how to stop or pause the 1709 update to keep forcing itself on us, so we at least don't have to wait for it to fail repeatedly and run the risk that it will compromise our data in the process.

Best regards,

//JJK

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JJK_1 

You can either reschedule, pause the update or defer it to delay the installation of the updates. To do this, follow these steps: 

To schedule or pause updates: 

Scheduling updates: 

1. Go to Settings. 

2. Choose Update & Security. 

3. Click on Windows Update. 

4. Click on Restart options. 

5. Turn on Schedule a time. 

6. Select the most convenient time for you to update your Windows. 

Pause updates: 

1. Go to Settings. 

4. Click on Advanced options. 

5. Select a time to a more convenient time. 

For more information, refer to the article entitled "Schedule or pause updates in Windows 10". 

To defer updates: 

1. Go to Settings. 

4. Click on Advanced options. 

5. Select Defer upgrades. 

For more information, refer to the article "Defer upgrades in Windows 10". 

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards.

If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

there is no "Defer upgrades" in the advanced options 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I found a solution by frustration and would first of all like to express how upset I am with these kind of stealthy, intrusive and non-deferrable updates. Please tell the developers of MS Windows to stop designing them like the infamous 1709.

I followed the instructions above to Defer upgrades, but the 1709 continued to download at every login. I then tried to re-schedule the upgrade to a maximum extent, which I believe was 4 days (thinking that I needed to repeat that on Sunday, and so on).

However, after returning from dinner with the aim to continue to work, the intrusive and stealthy1709 had started the update completely on its own, without my consent and against my clearly expressed will.

Needless to say I was quite p*ssed, since I knew that I would minimally loose half an hour of time to work. That was probably the reason why I was very quick to do the forced shutdown, immediately as the Alienware logo appeared (in doing so I was actually hoping to expedite the roll-back so I could continue to work).

However, the 1709 continued, and that didn't make me any happier, so I was equally trigger happy to do the next forced shut down.

But when 1709 still continued, I was surprised and couldn't help to become a bit hopeful, so I was also really fast on the last forced shutdown.....and then it worked.

I have disabled the driver for the USB 3.0 and the Windows Notifications reported that the Alienware service was stopped after the upgrade. So now I will re-start and hope for the best.

Best regards,

//JJK 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, it works but the Alienware Alien FX and the Thermal Controller doesn't seem to work after the 1709 upgrade.

Edit: I suspect that the iffy 1709 upgrade on the Alienware @home somehow messed up my Surface Pro @work, most likely since they were logged in using the same MS Account.

All Favorites in MS Edge were gone this morning and I had to import them from an old MS Explorer, however, unfortunately with additional loss of data.

Thanks a lot MS Windows.

//JJK

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2023 Views 3,441 Applies to: