April Update - cannot install from Windows Update, ISO or USB Boot

Trying to install 1803 on an older PC. It's a 1st gen i7-920 on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Intel X58 chipset.

From WU or ISO the update hangs after the reboot, stuck on the Windows logo. Buuting from USB it gets to the Windows logo and then hangs.

When booting back into Windows, it gives the following error:

0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

It was previously running the 1709 Fall Creaturs Update with no problems, though after several attempts to install 1803 and this install is now trashed. I am currently reinstalling that version as at least that one can boot! I would like to go to 1803 at some point though, so is there likely to be a fix for this, or is my hardware now unsupported?

setuperr.log contains:

2018-05-03 23:02:25, Error                 DU     DU::CDUSession::Search: Failed to set WU internal configuration property for targeted scans. hr = 0x80070057
2018-05-03 23:02:53, Error                 CONX   0xd0000034 Failed to add user mode driver [%SystemRoot%\system32\DRIVERS\UMDF\uicciso.dll]
2018-05-03 23:02:54, Error                 CONX   Windows::Compat::Appraiser::WicaApplicationInventory::AddItemProperty (514):   App Inventory returned duplicate file c:\program files (x86)\kodi\kodi.exe.[gle=0x8007000d]
2018-05-03 23:02:55, Error                 CONX   Windows::Compat::Appraiser::AssetUtils::GetProgramNameAndRegistryPathFromFile (624):   App should have registry path, swallowing error.[gle=0x8007139f]
2018-05-03 23:03:14, Error                        ConX::Compatibility::CActionT<4,struct ConX::Compatibility::NoParameters>::Invoke: Successfully persist data.
2018-05-03 23:05:08, Error                 SP     pSPRemoveUpgradeRegTree: failed to delete reg tree HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade[gle=0x00000005]
2018-05-03 23:05:27, Error      [0x080831] MIG    CSIAgent: Invalid xml format: FormatException: Component with display name: Plugin/{52776FBF-403C-49cc-b7cb-dd557f36096A} already loaded __cdecl Mig::CMXEMigrationXml::CMXEMigrationXml(class Mig::CPlatform *,class UnBCL::String *,class UnBCL::XmlDocument *,class UnBCL::String *,class UnBCL::String *)
2018-05-03 23:08:04, Error      [0x0808fe] MIG    Plugin {526D451C-721A-4b97-AD34-DCE5D8CD22C5}: [shmig] Failed to get preferred homegroup with hr=0x80070490
2018-05-03 23:08:26, Error                        CSetupAutomation::Resurrect: File not found: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\automation.dat[gle=0x00000002]
2018-05-03 23:08:26, Error                 SP     CSetupPlatform::ResurrectAutomation: Failed to resurrect automation: 0x80070002[gle=0x00000002]
&#65279;2018-05-03 23:09:45, Error                 MOUPG  Finalize: Error reading narrator reg key: [0x80070002]
2018-05-03 23:09:48, Error                 SP     CFinalizeCriticalBoundary::DoExecute: Cannot create hardlink betweeen C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\SetupPlatform.exe and C:\WINDOWS\System32\OOBE\SetupPlatform\SetupPlatform.exe. Error: 0x000000b7[gle=0x000000b7]

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I see a 3rd party driver failed to migrate. Please share Setupact.log from the same folder through any file sharing website so that I can see.
Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry for the delay in replying, apparently this forum doesn't send out emails when someone replies.

I no-longer have that directory, but given that the 1803 ISO won't even boot, I doubt it's related to drivers installed on the system.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the exact same problems and error. Even gave up on the migration and tried the usb ISO reformat path but still stuck on the windows logo.

I'm using an ASUS X58 p6x58d premium mobo with an X5675 Xeon thus i suspect it is the X58 platform that the April Update doesn't like. Ill try on my other x58, the msi eclipse if this holds true. 

Weird thing is im pretty sure it is not an obsoletion or end of life issue because I just migrated a q6600 on a g43 at work on day 1.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update, it's not the X58 platform coz my MSI X58 Eclipse with an i7 970 was able to update. Even moved my ssd from the asus there and it migrated to april update. But when i returned the Ssd to the asus mobo i got the stuck at windows logo again. 

Initially I thought maybe it could be the sata 3 or usb 3 of my asus mobo coz it is not native intel but the OP has niether in his mobo.

So either april update really hates the asus x58 mobos like the one the OP has or it doesnt like xeons on x58 but i suspect the former as the OP is using an i7 920. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hello,

same problem here with :

Motherboard : Asus P6x58d-e

CPU : Xeon X5670

RAM : 24GB (6x 4GB triple channel)

Sata controler 6Gb/s : Marvell Pcie 9128 with 2 SSD: Crucial CT128M550SSD1 + Sandisk SDSSDX240GG25

The update seem to work, but after the 1st reboot it is stuck on a black screen with the blue Windows logo. Pushing the power button on my PC reboot the system and i'm back to version 1709...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No news about that ??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same issue but not getting any error messages, just stuck on the Windows logo on both my Asus P6X58D & Asus P6T motherboards.

Tried stripping the P6X58D system down to just a platter drive, graphic card, and keyboard.  Also reset the BIOS to default and attempted a clean install via USB.

- System boots from USB. 

- I get asked what installation I want (32 or 64 bit).

- After selecting 64-bit; computer then displays the Windows logo and does nothing.

There is no drive or network activity.  I let it sit there for 1½ hours before I gave up on it.

I am also unable to defer the update as the settings are not available so, I disabled the Windows Update service.  Otherwise, it keeps attempting to reinstall the April update while I am using the computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since the last time I was here I see nothing has changed so, I thought I'd post what I've tried since the last time I was here (nothing worked).

This is what I've tried on my Windows 10 Home Premium computer.  Thankfully I am able to deter Feature updates on my other computer as it has Premium on it.  I'll see how long that lasts...

1. I tried disabling the Windows Update Service.  After about a week it magically turned itself back on and tried to install 1803.

2. I got a copy of Microsoft's ["show or hide updates" trouble shooter package] aka [wushowhide.diagcab].  I hid the 1803 update but a few days later it tried installing the update anyways.

3. I put my computer on "Metered Internet" so that updates needed permission to be installed.  The 1803 update installed in the background and popped up a message up saying that my machine was being shut down with only a CLOSE button as an option.  This is with no way to close anything I happened to have running.  Just CLOSE and nothing else.

Every time this happens I have to do a restore from my backup.

I'm now having people bringing me their computers (which I support as I had worked on them) weekly because of this damn update.  And I'm having to do the restore work at my own expense because it's not their fault this is happening.  They all want to move to Android or Apple now.

I've been using and promoting Microsoft since DOS 3.0 and haven't seen this kind of mess since I had to physically assign IRQ's using jumpers to the motherboard and add-on cards.  Not sure if any Microsoft personnel read this but please fix your mess...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I eventually solved this by disabling VT-D in the BIOS.

Unless you're running virtual machines and using GPU passthrough there is no performance hit from doing this.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know if you spent days changing settings in the BIOS or if someone else told you about, "disabling VT-D in the BIOS" but, thank you very, VERY much for sharing this information.

This fixed all of my update issues and many other peoples update issues as well.

Much appreciated.

:-)

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2024 Views 2,947 Applies to: