windows 10 flashing desktop screen

Just tried to install windows 10. Ran good with no errors. did get a screen saying it was taking longer then normal. Next went to what I assume is a windows 10 desktop with a few icons. the screen flashes off and on with black scree. I can move the arrow around but can not select anything. the circle is turning next to the pointer.

Any help out there

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Refer to the suggestions by Andre Da Costa replied On July 31, 2015 in the link given below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/black-screen-windows-10/a0dea0a5-f36d-4265-be80-83214f623868

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Refer to the suggestions by Andre Da Costa replied On July 31, 2015 in the link given below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/black-screen-windows-10/a0dea0a5-f36d-4265-be80-83214f623868

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Wasn't helpful. Don't have DVD.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It, too had the black screen with the cursor.  After restarting, it finally got to the Windows10 log in page.  Great!  Then my desktop began to load....now the whole desktop is flashing.  Nothing will work to stop it.  Every start up goes to the same desktop flashing on and off.  Any ideas on what to do next?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with my Toshiba laptop. I read elsewhere that someone disabled iCloud and iCloud pictures from startup via the task manager -- after booting in safe mode (windows key + R, type msconfig, boot, safe mode). Anyway, I did that and problem solved. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That didn't help, please give more solutions.

OK, I was able to get it working by accident, I decided to do a system restore back to 8.1 and when it finished I had windows 10 and it works fine. 

Restart while holding shift key down and go from there..

Edit- see my post below for more details. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Holding the shift key as I write this...nothing

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you restart the computer while pressing the shift key? Keep pressing it down until it boots up. 

I'm not sure what fixed it but this is what I did. 

I made the win10 dvd and booted to that. It then told me to remove the dvd and restart. That didn't seem to work so I decided I would reset the computer back to 8.1 if I could so I tried the "reset windows 10" on this page-

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

scroll down to "perform a reset and remove everything" 

To reset your Windows 10 PC, open the Settings app, select Update & security, select Recovery, and click the “Get started” button under Reset this PC. Select “Remove everything.” This will wipe all your files, so be sure you have backups.

I selected "keep my files" because I don't want to Remove everything. 

When it was done I now had windows 10 and it's working fine so I think the reset somehow repaired it. A bunch of my programs were gone but it does give you a list of what was removed. 

Holding the shift key while restarting got me into the settings app

The problem seems to be that the win10 install never finished because my system info shows I was still using win 8 but win 10 was trying to load but couldn't. 

Also, if you get a screen where it wants the product key when trying the dvd install just click on "skip" and keep going. 

Hope this helps!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi this happened to me yesterday. I have an Acer Apsire V and after downloading Windows 10 my desktop would not fully load as well as it would rapidly flash. I went through several threads and called the Microsoft hotline to no avail. Finally, I contacted someone on tumblr who had the same problem as I and she said it had to do with Norton Security. Here is the link to the solution:

http://asdreamsaremade.tumblr.com/post/126068799270/hi-my-screen-is-currently-flashing-similarly-to

I will also post the solution here in case you do not want to open the link.

Hello!

There is actually a simple solution to stop the screen from flashing.

Step 1: Open Task Manager. You can do this by hitting ctrl+alt+delete and selecting Task Manager from the list that appears
Step 2: In the top left corner, hit “File” and select “run new task” from the drop down menu.
Step 3: Type “msconfig” into the box.
Step 4: A new box will open. In this new box, select the Service tab.
Step 5: Scroll through the list and search for “problem reports and solutions control panel support” and “windows error report service.”
Step 6: Disable the two items by clicking the checked box beside them. The check should disappear.
Step 7: Click Apply, then click OK.
Step 8: You may be prompted to restart your computer. This is not necessary, but definitely recommended.

If your computer uses Norton Antivirus, upon restart, it will probably be a good idea to update the Norton program (hopefully the program will prompt you to update). If you do not use Norton, you still might want to run an antivirus scan and even perhaps an anti malware scan.

After that, your PC should be in good shape. Enjoy Windows 10! And remember, if you don’t like it, I’ve read that for a month you have the option to revert back to your old OS. If you want to, a quick internet search will bring up an easy step by step process (but remember to always back up your info before switching an OS!!).

Hope everything starts working again! Have a good night!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually just logged in to the Answers forum to inform folks that I had found what was causing my issues.  It was only one of the things you listed: Windows Error Reporting Service (ironic, right?).  Once I disabled that, no more flashing.  So I hope this helps folks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you it work very helpful 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2019 Views 3,813 Applies to: