Windows Explorer/File Explorer Always Opens Minimized

Hello Everyone.

I use Windows 8.1.

Until few days ago, everything was working fine. No idea what happened but whenever I open the File Explorer/Windows Explorer, it always opens minimized. Earlier I just needed to maximize it and close it so that when the next time I open it, it opens maximized. But when I do that now, it still opens minimized.

Not just that. I like to have my files and folders view to be as "large icons". But, its all in "details" view now. Earlier if something like this happened, I would change it once to "large icons" and it remained intact upon my viewing next time. However, it doesn't happen now. Inspite of changing the view settings to "large icons", they still open "details" view.

Any idea, how to solve both the issues? It would be very helpful.

Thanks.
 always opens minimized.

Often this means that the window is actually open in normal mode but just not on your screen.  If you had a second monitor to use you would probably see it there.  Press Win-P to see if you are currently set to Extend and change it to Duplicate if so.  Similarly, windows can be attached to the current monitor but just be off screen or so reduced in size that they are hard to spot.  Right-click on the window thumbnail to use the Move and Size command to get them back that way.  Alternatively, provided they aren't associated with another monitor you can use the Taskbar's Cascade windows command to both move and resize them to a more usable state.  Minimize any other windows you have open that you don't want involved in the procedure first.  E.g. press Win-d to minimize them all, and then Restore the problem one.  

If you need more help, provide the details that you can get from the thumbnail's right-click menu.  E.g. in particular note that window commands which are active are blue and ones which are inactive are grey.  It is possible to infer the state of a window using the states of its window's window commands, for example, as seen via right-click of its thumbnail or via Alt-Space when its window has keyboard focus.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

101 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the tip Robert Aldwinckle. I had my third monitor on in TV mode. I switched it back to HDMI hey presto! My folders were open. Just dragged them back to the main screen and now back up and running. This became an issue after yet another of Microsoft's **** Updates.

Now Listen up Microsoft! software developers. Get a grip of your software. It is pissing people off and costing them money in repairs.

You might also want to improve on the Malware for protecting Edge. At the moment, Edge is open to all sorts of attacks unlike Chrome.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

At "Almost ANY" Version of Windows,

You can try go to the shortcut of your FileExplorer (Located at taskbar, Favorites Menu, Windows Start Menu, Etc), locate your File Explorer or your Folder with Problems (My Music, My Downloads, Etc.) and:

1. Right click
  2. Properties
  3. Shortcut
  4. Run
  5. Select: Maximized
  6. Click OK for save your new settings.

That should fix your issue.

Best regards!

CCNA, IT Microsoft

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you!  Your tip to use Win-P then switch the screen from extended screen back to "this PC only" solved my problem.  Don't know how that happened (and it has never occurred before), but many thanks to you!

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks you are saviour

i even reninstalled windows and my problem did not get solved

regards 

shashi

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 29,830 Applies to: