Outlook 2010 not showing on list of Default Programs

I have recently installed Office Home and Business 2010 on my 32-bit Windows 7 PC. I am experiencing several sync-related issues due to the inability to select Outlook as the Default Email client. After a search for online help there appears to be two conflicting and incompatible ways to set Outlook as the default email program. Outlook 2010 help suggests opening Outlook, selecting the File Tab, selecting Options, selecting General, and then selecting the check-box to "Make Outlook the default program for E-Mail, Contacts, and Calender". I did that, however, Outlook still does not show up on the Default Program listing and is not being recognized as the default by either the MobileMe or Blackberry syncing programs.  Likewise when attempting to set Outlook as the default by selecting the Start menu, Default Programs tab, 'Set your default programs' option, Outlook does not even show up as an option to select amongst the other programs (Windows Live Mail does).

It would appear that for the sync services to work, Outlook would have to be a selectable option from the default program listing. How does one make that happen?

Thanks in advance,

ATLSlainte   

Answer
Answer

MK,

I suspect that you might be running the new Office 2010 Click-to-Run version.  It runs in a virtualized application space and does not store its settings in the registry like the standard MSI install of Office does.  This version of Office does not set a default program like the standard one does.  If you need Outlook to be the default email program in order for add-ins or integrated applications to work with it then consider installing the standard MSI version of Office 2010.  This article explains a little more about Click-to-Run and also instructions for installing the MSI version if you need it,http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982431.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 16,189 Applies to: